Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting

Many of my reception class are ready to start forming letters- we have done write dance every day last term and along with the phonics aspects they are starting to identify phonemes within words. We have been starting to do shared/modelled writing- they tell me what to write and what sounds to use. They are starting to try and write the sounds they can hear- not all but some- but we use cursive script in our school and they are not able to form correctly- should I start teaching letter formation now? any tips/advice on how to go about this- whole class, small grp?

You could have been teaching them letter formation within your phonics, using the "framework" of look, say, write.

What do you mean by cursive script? Continuous cursive from the line? What have previous teachers done, your school should have a policy about this?

There is usually a precursive form of the letters that you could use.

the Penpals interactive handwriting CD may be of use to you - published by Cambridge.

I have also used a fab idea where you printy out individual letters in sassoon font, but in a block style so childrne can trace inside each letter with a finger or even a car!

Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)