Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

10 Minute Activity Fillers Wanted

Hi everybody, just wanted to pick your brains out there, I know its very almost end of the half term but i really need a little help. You know those times when you have ten mins to fill just before lunch, or just before hometime....and you just wish you had the experience of loads of different activities up your sleeve that you can just grab to pass those ten minutes away. Well thats what i'm after, does anybody out there have ideas to do with the class to fill a little time.

Would be most grateful of some suggestions xxxx

We do singing! nursery ryhme requests or practice latest song that they are learning, or jolly phonic songs to supprt l&s. If before lunch- dicuss lunch box contents, extend discussions on where things come from, chat about learning done this morning, whats happening later. share news.

also have active song cd to use if needed.

Yeah theyre good ideas, i start phase two with the chn next term, so fab filler using the cd. Sometimes we'll practice letter formation, they love the whiteboards, or i'll get the number fans out and see who is the fastest at finding the number. just need some fresh ideas xx thankyou loasds for your suggestions xxx

Have you got an interactive whiteboard? If so try the Singup website - www.singup.org. Go into Song bank and search for Foundation Stage songs and there's loads on there - you can play them and sing along! My class love this!

Have you got an interactive whiteboard? If so try the Singup website - www.singup.org. Go into Song bank and search for Foundation Stage songs and there's loads on there - you can play them and sing along! My class love this!

Just had a look and I think I may use that tomorrow - thanks

• 3 months later...

Get them outside blowing bubbles and looking at the colours, you can use different objects like cleaver sticks, cut off plastic bottles, large bubble wands to make giant bubbles. It's great fun and the children are experimenting. Or inside roll out large sheets of wallpaper and use stencils and a range of crayons, pens and get all the children to make a picture, you could link it to a story you read earlier in the session. :o

Hangman a good one to use, but if don't want to use hangman, try a lady bird with a head and divide body and put 3 dots in each side.

Usually I use words relevant to letters and sounds or topic work and they always seem to win..which they delight in of course and I just can't understand????

Poetry for the very young book

Lots of short poems that children can learn..they absolutlely love this and it helps if book has pictures

Number chant

A little chant that works well..

I sing

I'm thinking of a number

The children reply

She's thinking of a number

I sing

What can it be?

They sing

What can it be?

I sing something like

It comes after 7

They sing

It comes after 7

They then work it out and then either put hands up or all shout out the answer

Find this is good for mental maths

Number wall

Have a card folder with a wall(bricks) drawn on front with a question mark on it

Put a number card inside folder and side card up slowly so that number is slowly revealed..helps with number recognition and good for speaking and listen ing as have to describe how they knew it was the number

Redbase :o

Circle games....

Keeper of the keys

Pass a smile

Pass a hand squeeze

Chinese whispers

Thumbs up

Swap places if....

The farmers in the den

1 elephant balancing

Quick read of tricky words

Singing songs

Clapping rhythms

Show and tell- there is always a child that has something to show or tell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)