Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

One More Psrn

Hi guys,

just wanted to pick you brain on one more/one less although just concentrating on one more at the moment. Really didnt realise how difficult it is to teach. I'm onto the second week of it, because my kids are very nearly there with it. But just wanted to know what extension activities you put out for them to explore afterwards. I am actually being observed on Thursday, and have the main teaching sorted but just need some deas for extension. I was thinking of using play dough and asking them to add one more cake / cherry or whatever it is they are making. Any ideas would be great xxxx

thanks for that , might choose a few of those ideas, after something that they can access independently and do. I might use the ladybird play dough mats from sparklebox, get them to roll the dice and say whats one more.

xxx

I did this recently with my year ones and I'm not sure why but they absolutely loved having number cards face down on the table then each choosing one and writing down the 'one more' one their whiteboards as fast as they could. I wasn't sure it was the most inspirational activity ever but something about it really appealed to them (I think they just love turning over the cards and being 'surprised' about the number).

Anyway, I mostly wanted to say good luck with the one less. All mine had got one more sorted and I thought I was on a roll. Then we tried one less and in the end I just gave up and left it for next term when they're more secure in their concept of number. Some got it, but it was a very mixed bag and even some of my brightest ones just couldn't get the idea at all. I actually think that taking a break and doing something different (like shape or something) then later going back to 'one less' might have been better because they were all so stuck on 'one more' (which we spent a week on) that they just got totally confused and I ended up actually undoing some of the work on 'one more'. They really needed time to consolidate it through their own play whilst getting input on something totally different before we approached the idea of 'one less'.

Obviously you know your children best so yours might be, but in retrospect mine just really weren't ready for it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)