Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading And Writing

Hi all

I'm in Reception and I just wanted to ask how others are implementing guided reading and writing activities in Reception. What sort of activities are your children doing in guided writing at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

At the moment I am not really doing guided writing, just providing lots of opportunities for mark making inside and outside. Today we had a tortoise visit us and lots of the children wrote 'signs' to warn others to be careful, our role play area is a vets and lots of writing going on in there, chalk on ground outside etc I am trying to do lots of observations and move the children on in their play. Once we have got further with Letters and Sounds I will start to do more focussed writing.

I do worry that i'm doing the right thing in regard to literacy in reception because i've previously been in Year 5. I do have daily Phonics sessions following Letters and Sounds Phase two, then we have CLL 4 times a week. I've been doing writing letter sounds, words we've blended e.g. it, mat....... in different mark materials e.g. sand, shaving foam, paper. Does this sound right?

Would it be possibe to see what others' CLL planning looks like...i'm such a worrier and need reassurance that i'm doing it all right. :o

I'm just doing Letters and Sounds at moment. Writing/mark making activities outside and in through role play area - doctor's surgery, writing labels for their models etc. Listening to/following stories with an awareness of print - direction, which bit tells me what to say, turning pages etc.

Very basic as yet. Once children have learned more sounds I'll do something a bit more challenging. Don't know if I'm doing right, but it's taking so long to do anything!

Thank you for replies.

It sounds like i'm doing the right activities. What does your CLL planning look like? Do you have separate phonics plans? Sorry for all the questions

I am in Rec/Y1 so it is slightly different, but I have uploaded one of my weekly CLL plans and also one of my 'area plans' because these cover all the play opportunities, some of which are linked to CLL. We plan separately for Letters and Sounds using the LCP phonics scheme. Not sure if I'm doing it right either, but hope these help!

Weekly_plan_CLL_wb_5th_Oct.doc

Weekly_Plan___all_areas_wb_5th_Oct.doc

Thank you for your example of planning. It's good to see how others plan. Can't imagine having to plan for rec/yr1.

When do you start Reception on guided writing?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Thank you for your example of planning. It's good to see how others plan. Can't imagine having to plan for rec/yr1.

I will wait until they are ready - once I think some of them are beginning to use sounds in their independent writing I will start to write as a group.

I plan opportunities for children to undertake writing activities alongside adults most weeks. Examples include in the role play area- making a shopping list in the fruit and vegetable shop or recording the dinosaurs we found on our dinosaur hunt outside. We do lots of talking about our writing and lots of praising any marks the children make. I am not expecting them to write phonemes correctly in words/sentences.

I hope that makes sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)