Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It All Right?

Hello,

I am managing a new setting, opening in January. It is a pre-school and run by a church. Obviously, the committee wants to keep staffing to an acceptable minimum, to see how things go. The question is can a trainee nvq and me be just the two of us until numbers increase? After all, we would still fall into the 50% group.

We are advertising for a deputy, but I have been told that this may have to wait until the numbers increase. Lady in question is mature, has lots of experience and BTEC social care or something.

I need a definite answer please.

Thanks for your help!

Lesley

I don't know how many children you are having to begin with but irrespective of that you need one member of staff for every child aged 3 or over, (1:4 for 2yr olds)

One member of staff must hold a full level 3 (as defined by CWDC) and half the other staff must hold a full level 2 (as defined by CWDC)

If there is just you and the trainee nvq 3 I would say sorry but no :o as I don't think the trainee will meet the requirement of 'half the other staff must be level 2' unless her BTEC is on the cwdc list of recognised qualifications

it can be a bit confusing as there is something that says trainees on long term placements over the age of 17 can be counted in ratios if the manager deems them responsible but you still need to meet the 'half of other staff must be level 2'

Hi Geraldine

Thanks for your prompt answer. I was not very happy at this prospect. Ratios etc. are not too much of a problem, but I know some people seem to manage with only two staff present. Having come from a setting with 21 staff, starting up from zero is going to raise a whole new lot of questions.

I have never worked with this lady and obviously will be needing someone who is competent at the outset, especially if they want me to bring in lots more children! Basically I can tell them it just is not acceptable. Thanks again - I will pass on the info.

Lesley

.......and what happens if you are off sick? A deputy, or person who covers for a qualified leader, must be qualified to level 3.

Staffing levels and staff qualifications will come up with Ofsted registration, the committee will have to show Ofsted that they will be meeting all the standards, including staff cover, to get the setting registered.

I hope this gets sorted and best wishes for your new post in January. A big change from your previous setting, it will be interesting to hear about work comparisons between large/small setting experiences.

Peggy

Can anyone help with a slightly different angle to this thread .... we run a lunch club 12.30-1.30 and have between

3 - 12 children (aged 3-4) Do the staff both have to be qualified or can I have a level 3 and un qualified working together?

dottyp :o