Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessing Creative Development Scale Points 7,8,9

I would love to hear your opinions about assessing scale points 7,8,9 for Creative development. I have had many long indepth discussions with colleagues in order to clarify the meaning of them and what you would look for in a child's play and work.

For ease of reference

Scale 7 Uses imagination in art, design, music and dance, imaginative and role play and stories. Responds in a variety of ways to what s/he sees, hears, smells, touches and feels

Scale 8 Expresses and communicates ideas, thoughts and feelings using a range of materials, suitable tools, imaginative and role play , movement, designing and making and a variety of songs

Scale 9 Expresses feelings and preferences in response to art work, drama and music and makes some comparisons and links between different pieces. Responds to won work and that of others when exploring and communicating ideas, feelings and preferences through art, music, dance role and imaginative play.

The biggest difficulty we have is the difference between uses imagination(7) and Expresses and communicates (8) Surely when you use imagination you are expressing and communicating? Would be pleased to hear what others think.

Hi June

I agree that these are very tricky! Have you looked at the CD rom examples? You should have received one with your profile handbook. What about the examples in the handbook itself? However, I do think that the given examples tend to make attainment look very simple and if this is so why are we doing all this work?

However, I would tend to think that point 7 can be achieved by a child working alone or within a group but with a minimum of communication (so perhaps alongside others) but that Point 8 depends very much on the child interacting with others.

A child can show imagination in sole play cant they? Although to acheive in all these areas might be unusual but perhaps point 7 allows for the child who does not always interact fully with others?

I too will be interected in what others think.

I agree with Susan and Michaelle about over estimating or being too generous. For the points mentioned I think role play is probably the easiest to get examples for children are always negotiating their roles, planning a sequence of events - "I'll be the baby and I'm sick and you find me and call the doctor." I heard in the home corner today. But I don't think you can cover every thing

if a child dances in time to some music played I would accept that as evidence towards Scale 7

If they say "when I paint a rainbow it makes me feel happy I would accept that as evidence towards Scale 8

I would probably leave Scale 9 to the reception class unless it was a particularly gifted and tallented child.

I spend quite a lot of time talking about the children to our reception class teacher and we work in a similar way and understand each other but I know this doesn't always follow. We have just started a child from the local day nursery and I don't recognise her from the profile, I know it is early days and she need time to settle in.

I agree with everyone...........there is so much information in just one scale point (6,7,8,9) you get confused just reading it. If expectations are that the grey coloured scales are derived form the early learning goals then that is what a child should have achieved before entering Year One. So I often concemtrate on those areas and assessing those areas in the Summer Term before they leave Reception and expect them to show lots of examples of dancing, role playing confidently etc etc. I was wondering Mimi, about you saying that you leave scale 8 to the Reception teacher........I thought the scales assessments were for the 3 terms before entering Year One. In which case most children will be achieving this area just before the very end of Reception?

Yes, the last post echoes my thoughts!!!! :o

I thought that the profile wasn't started until Yr R. I assess mine when they start and many have 1,2,3 points on the scales on most areas but 6,7,8 are generally much later it he year. I did give a few 9's last year but will be a lot less giving this year having now heard so much about how high that is!

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a simple way of recording abilities. So manyobservations and notes, so much time trying to see what fits where and statements liek you say for CD that are overlapping yer vague. Yes, I look at the eg's but it's still hard when it comes to filling in the profiles for the unique children in your setting!

I am really pleased it is not just me who is finding it a nightmare working out the CD scale points. Last year I left these until the night before the final scores had to be in for most children! I also find the KUW scale points quite hard and as for some of the PSED ones eg understands that people have different needs views and cultures and beliefs that need to be treated with respect (SD 7), considers the consequences of words and actions for self and others (ED 7), understands what is right what is wrong and why (ED 8) well - I know a lot of adults who I wouldn't give those to!

• 4 weeks later...

The 'theme' for the schools in our cohort that are being moderated this term is Creative Development - we are meeting at the end of April - if I find out anything will let you know.

Marmite

the trouble with assessing Careative Development is that the statements really do cover a lot of different skills so are a bit vague.

The key words for point 7 are using imagination and responding, and I would expect a child on 7 on the scale to be taking on a role in imaginative play and enacting that role, using appropriate vocabulary and interacting with others within the role. I would expect this to be beyond simply reenacting familiar events such as shopping or home play which would be more at Stepping Stone 2/3 level. This can also be demonstrated in small world play - making up more complex stories. For music I would expect them to make up their own music to accompany a dance or reflect a theme, such as water sounds, a storm or a happy dance in response to what they experience. they might even use some simple emergent notation (squiggles)

Dance I would expect to have one or two linked sequences, again reflecting the mood and tempo of the music. i would expect them to work with others as they often do. The child may invent his/her own songs.

These would be similar for point 8 with the child able to talk about what they have done and why. Observations would probably fulfill both of these points.

Point 9 is much more complex. I find it useful to remember that the ELG's are roughly equivalent of Level 1c National Curriculum and point 9 to a 2c which is a slightly below average 7 year old. Not scientific but just gives pause for thought when scoring.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)