Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poems For Year One?

Anyone know of any good poems for year ones to read? I have to follow the literacy units so we're doing all about the senses and looking at various smells/tastes/sounds etc ourselves, but I'm finding it difficult to turn up examples of poems like these to read to the children. Online ones would be prefereable so I don't have to go out and buy books myself.

Also on a more general theme, anyone know of any poems suitable for year one which don't rhyme? I'm trying to teach mine that they don't have to, but the limited number of big books we have in the school all have rhyming poetry and all the children ever say when I ask them what they think of the poem is "it rhymes". I think it's a real shame that they get stuck on this point when there's so much more to poetry.

as well as the other thread

The Spot on my bum Gez Walsh

Pillow Talk Roger McGough

Grow your own poems Peter Dixon

then Oxford University Press do a series of poetry books with Poetry Paintbox titles such as - Twins, Night, Monkey, Space poems

and then I really love this from Roger McGough

Learning to Read

Learning to read during the war

wasn't easy, as books were few

and far between. But Mother

made sure I didn't go to sleep

without a bedtime story.

Because of the blackout

the warm, comforting glow

of a bedside lamp was not permitted.

So Mum would pull back the curtains

and open wide the window.

And by the light of a blazing factory

or a crashed Messerschmitt,

cuddled up together, she would read

saucebottles, jamjars, and. my

all-time favourite, a tin of Ovaltine.

So many years ago, but still

I remember her gentle guidance

as I read aloud my first sentence:

'S-p-r-i-n-k-l-e t-w-o h-e-a-p-e-d

t-e-a-s-p-o-o-n-s-f-u-l o-f...

Edited by LornaW

Anyone know of any good poems for year ones to read? I have to follow the literacy units so we're doing all about the senses and looking at various smells/tastes/sounds etc ourselves, but I'm finding it difficult to turn up examples of poems like these to read to the children. Online ones would be prefereable so I don't have to go out and buy books myself.

We did 'sound collector' last year but much preferred the NIng Nang Nong this year- if you have Smart board, PM me and I can send you my file with it on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)