Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Much To Rent Land Only?

hi,

is anyone out there who owns their own building (e.g. a mobile/modular classroom or similar) but rents the land from someone else (e.g. a school)?

i am hoping to just pay utility costs as I will be replacing a clapped out building which the school cannot afford to replace, but wondered how much people pay for land only.

thanks,

A

we own our building and lease land on a school site, we lease it from the local authority and only pay a 'peppercorn' rent, but the lease is not very long and there are concerns as to what will happen to the building when the lease expires.

the local authority drew up the lease and we got it checked by a solicitor (as it was quite hard to understand and we wanted to make sure we knew what we were signing)

thanks for your reply. I am hoping for a ten year lease because as you say, at the end of the lease they could kick me out and keep the building - ten years would be an acceptable (if not desirable) time. But I may have to settle for 5 years and hope they still want us there after that - I'm pretty sure that would be the case.

How long was your original lease?

Thanks again,

A

thanks for your reply. I am hoping for a ten year lease because as you say, at the end of the lease they could kick me out and keep the building - ten years would be an acceptable (if not desirable) time. But I may have to settle for 5 years and hope they still want us there after that - I'm pretty sure that would be the case.

How long was your original lease?

Thanks again,

A

ours was a 10 year lease, it seemed quite a long time back when we signed -but now we are half way through we are wondering what will happen ?

luckily we have a good relationship with the school and are the only setting in our area, so we are needed.

i would try and push for 10 years -as the time will go so quickly, by the time you are up and running smoothly it will be time to revise your lease again.

We are peppercorn rent - payable to the CC - not school. £1 a year I believe!!!! Check who owns the land - invariably schools do not own their own sites its the County Council, and if just replacing an existing building you shold be able to peppercorn it too!!!!! Zoe.xxx

Edited by Guest

hi Zoe and Roly,

was thinking about peppercorn rent - will try!

at the moment the services are provided via the school but i will look into separate meters for electricity etc - is that what you have? otherwise it would be a proportion I guess, to be negotiated. we have use of the school photocopier at the moment and i am negotiating over a flat rate for that subject to reasonable use. do you have your own copiers?

I went to see a solicitor today and he gave me some pointers about the length of lease (at least 10 years he said), rent (minimal he said as I am providing the building) etc. he has recommended an accountant who I will visit next week so it's all starting to happen which is very exciting. but I need the lease and nothing is forthcoming from the landlord (diocese) at the moment....

thanks, A

we have seperate meters for our electricity and water - we paid for them to be done as we wernt happy with the proportion of the bills the school wanted us to pay !

we used to use the school copier at a cost of 5p per copy -but we then bought a 3 in 1 printer and use that for our copying, thankfully we dont do that much and its easier to copy off something quickly if needed than run to the school. the printer cost about £60.00, and we use compatible carts for it.