Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading Linked To Phonic Phases

I went to a Clld meeting where a teacher was talking about the way they now do guided reading. She said that they grouped their children according to phonic phases and have recently sorted out their reading scheme into phonic phases. What a good idea I thought so came back and mentioned it to the head. We both thought it would be a good way of getting the children to apply their phonics. It is now 6pm and I am sat here at school with piles of books, piles of wordlists and a big headache! Has anyone done this in there setting? If so how? We have oxford reading tree scheme books and other than ploughing through each one and working out which words are phonetically decodable and then which stage they relate to, I can't think where to begin. I know the ORT songbirds have the phonemes contained in the book on the back, but we don't have these and there is no money to buy more books. HELP!!!

ORT Songbirds are already linked to the phases

the green books are phase 2

blue books phase 3

red books phase 4

yellow books phase 5

orange books phase 6

I'm afraid old ORT books Biff & Chip don't lend themselves to linking with phonics phases as they are a look and say scheme not phonics.

I went to a Clld meeting where a teacher was talking about the way they now do guided reading. She said that they grouped their children according to phonic phases and have recently sorted out their reading scheme into phonic phases. What a good idea I thought so came back and mentioned it to the head. We both thought it would be a good way of getting the children to apply their phonics. It is now 6pm and I am sat here at school with piles of books, piles of wordlists and a big headache! Has anyone done this in there setting? If so how? We have oxford reading tree scheme books and other than ploughing through each one and working out which words are phonetically decodable and then which stage they relate to, I can't think where to begin. I know the ORT songbirds have the phonemes contained in the book on the back, but we don't have these and there is no money to buy more books. HELP!!!

Hi, If you get the book bands book, all the books listed are linked to the phases. It makes life easier! ISBN 9 780854737871

Anje x

I haven't heard we shouldn't be doing guided reading in reception but only when they are ready for it. Glad you started this post because I have been thinking the same thing. I don't really think the ORT books fit into the phonic scheme, i really want to get some phonics based books because surely that is the best way to teach the children?

Has any one used the floppy phonics books by ORT? My school won't move away from ORT so thought maybe I could add to them by getting these that are the same characters but with phonics as the primary strategy. x

Has any one used the floppy phonics books by ORT? My school won't move away from ORT so thought maybe I could add to them by getting these that are the same characters but with phonics as the primary strategy. x

We've just bought these, not even stamped up yet but I really like them---as Literacy Coord I had to have a go! They also have NF ones which really appealed to the children and were very accessible (non reading YR1s).

Dont be tempted by the FIRST PHONICS from ORT though as they are really really hard---Stage 1+ is a yellow band. :o

We've just bought these, not even stamped up yet but I really like them---as Literacy Coord I had to have a go! They also have NF ones which really appealed to the children and were very accessible (non reading YR1s).

Dont be tempted by the FIRST PHONICS from ORT though as they are really really hard---Stage 1+ is a yellow band. :o

Great thanks for advise Susan! Will put a strong case forward for getting them!

Thanks for all your help. Will try and beg for money to get the songbirds and will invest in the bookbands book. It is another case of trying to get something off the ground but not putting in any money to support it. It is more for my year 1's as i have a mixed age class but those foundation that are ready may as well start. Thanks again!

We use the floppy phonics/songbirds books for guided reading sessions. They are fab and I would highly recommend them. We do also make sure that we read some of the 'old' ORT books alongside though- they are fab for teaching tricky/high frequency words.

We have recently been on the CLLD project and were told by our adviser that all children should be participating in guided reading. She said that for poor children this may just be looking at and discussing one picture. I don't know how i'd get through all my readers if I didn't do it as guided reading!

At my children's school they have started using 'Jelly and bean' books which are very phonically based, but I personally don't like them at all. I was recommended them on a CLLD course today, but the children are not impressed at all. Its all 'the cat sat on the mat' type stuff. I know it can be powerful for the children to be able to sound out the words and realise that they can decode, but surely there is so much more to reading than this? As someone else said the old ORT books are great for high frequency words, plus most children love them. We have these at my school, but I think we need to look at some other things like the Songbirds. I won't be buying the 'Jelly and bean' books though!!

At my children's school they have started using 'Jelly and bean' books which are very phonically based, but I personally don't like them at all. I was recommended them on a CLLD course today, but the children are not impressed at all. Its all 'the cat sat on the mat' type stuff. I know it can be powerful for the children to be able to sound out the words and realise that they can decode, but surely there is so much more to reading than this? As someone else said the old ORT books are great for high frequency words, plus most children love them. We have these at my school, but I think we need to look at some other things like the Songbirds. I won't be buying the 'Jelly and bean' books though!!

My kids really like Jelly and Bean. I would agree the first few books are very unispiring, but once you get past these they really enjoy them and they learn to read well from them with a cumulative vocabulary. The excitement when they find out that Wellington is Kevin's dad continues to baffle me...

We have just bought the Collins Big Cat phonic books and we love them and can't wait to start using them.

We have started guided reading already with the no word books ORT so all children have the same positive experiences at turning pages, reading the pictures, what do you think will happen next? etc regardless of home support or lack of...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)