Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shape And Space

There are some excellent ideas in the Numeracy Strategy for Reception. You can acess this and other numeracy support materials from the standards site.

www. standards.dfes.gov.uk

Abacus planning is also available from www. hamilton trust.org uk, but you might need to dig abit as the shape sapce and measures stuff is often towards the end of each planned half term.

Good luck.

A really easy one is drawing a shape and then getting the children to fill it with something to see what quantity of objects the shape will hold

ie draw a square, fill it with blocks, discuss how many, then say you need to get more in, can the children rearrange them so they fit the shape better or perhaps they will think to layer them upwards on top of each other. Try using different things to fill the space and compare quantities perhaps drawing a simple bar chart to record the findings.

Hope this helps

Sue

Wow!!

Sue, I'm impressed!!! :oxD

Sorry, I really shouldn't have hi-jacked this. :( Forgive, please.

How about using wind and flying to explore triangles (as in kites), which can sort of get 'left out', if you're not careful - which I'm sure you probably are!!!

Sue :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)