Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qts

Help all. My friend started work without her QTS English exam thinking she had 5 years to get it. As she now has it she has been told she has to repeat her NQT year.

Can anyone shed some clarity on this please as very upset and poor friend.

Help much appreciated. :o

The Education Act 2002 stated that teachers without QTS could not teach in England unless they fell within one of the limited exceptions. One of these was "trainee teachers who have yet to pass their skills tests". Between 01 May 2001 and 31 August 2008, trainee teachers who would have gained QTS, but for the fact they had not passed all the skills tests by the end of training, were allowed to teach for up to five years (the five year grace period).

During this period, these individuals could only be employed as unqualified teachers; they were not newly qualified teachers (NQTs) and could not begin induction. On 1 September 2007, the regulations changed to remove the five year grace period.

The 2007 Regulations replace the five year period in the 2003 Regulations with a fixed deadline of 31 August 2008. This was the last date that any trainee was able to be employed as a teacher without having passed the tests and obtained QTS. Employers must secure termination of employment 'as soon as practicable'. There can be no extensions or exceptions to the deadline.

Teachers previously working unqualified can continue to take the tests and, if they pass, will be eligible for recommendation for the award of QTS, to teach, and to begin induction.

Could the QTS english test be quickly taken? This sounds like a ticking the box thing? I am on GTP year and hoping to do all 3 this half term? You can practise loads before hand on the TDA website?

Good Luck :o

There are practise tests you can take online. The tests themselves are not too difficult so no need to panic about them. You take them at a testing centre when you do it for real and are time limited (one is 30 minutes, one 40 and one 60 I think, but not entirely sure). If you're fairly confident in maths, English and ICT you should be able to take all three in a half term no problem. I think I did all mine in a day.

EDIT: Actually re-reading your original post I can't work out whether you were asking questions or giving information. If it was the latter then just ignore me!

Edited by Guest

Ha ha- was giving advice,

However, failed the ICT practice one tonight with IT literate son offering' loads of helpful' advice!!.... read the question mum, no you can't just right click mum, ....well what do you think you need to do mum? grrrr.

Will def be doing lots on that one!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)