Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Performance Management Observation

Hello all

I have moved from Y5 to the school Nursery class this year - previously no experience in foundation stage - and the Headteacher is due to observe me in 2 weeks time for performance management. I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers as to what good/ outstanding teaching looks like with a nursery class. (note: the observation will be based on CLL, during 15/20 minutes of carpet time with 20 children in a unit comprising Reception and day care classes also).

Thanks

Cloudy

hi Cloudy

I am a nursery teacher and have had a few PM but this year criteria has changed (to New Ofsted )and its much more difficult to get outstanding I think.

We are due our PM too and have been told that there needs to be evidence of links to School development plan,links to prior learning ,evidence of where each child is ie;Development matter bands,Do chn know what they are learning and how many move on in their learning during the session .

CLLD could really be about listening skills and circle time at this time of the year .Look on the letters and sounds DVD there are some good ideas for sound bag activities and encouraging listening skills outdoors.

Also tied in with that are routines.How do you get all the chn on the carpet,have you a strategy for getting their attention.Is there a mix of all types of learning (visual,kinesthetic etc )Don't forget to show that you are continually assessing by praise,stickers or questioning ,and have some fun with it :o

20 seems a lot for a circle time activity Have you support/

Keep carpet session short and activities set in nursery could be making different shakers,musical bumps,sound game on computer etc

Don't know if this has been helpful but good luck.

I am a nursery teacher and we were inspected in March under the new criteria. I got outstanding for my lesson. I was doing a letters and sounds activity. I started by doing the mouth exercises in letters and sounds. I then told them we were going to make different sounds with our mouths. I had a slide show of pictures on the smartboard such as a slide, a ball, a clock, a bee etc all mentioned in the voice sounds section in the letters and sounds document (If you don't have a whiteboard you can get some pictures from Sparklebox). The first time we went through the pictures and made suggestions of what noises they may make. Then we went through them again but standing up doing actions e.g. bouncing a ball, moving like a train, reaching up high and coming down a slide. We made the sounds as we were doing it (the inspector joined in all these actions - just drew the line at slithering like a snake lol). We finished with the train and ch ch ch back to play. You have to make sure that you do everything slowly and that all children are joining in. They all achieved their objective and they all took part - even a child who is autistic. This is definitely an activity you can do with a large group. If you have to do a longer session you could look in the letters and sounds document for another activity, or you could read a short story which includes making sounds like 'Peace at Last'

I don't know if this will help but the inspector said the lesson was 'brilliant'

Sue

I'm not a teacher but ive seen some videos on Teachers Tv that are about outstanding

lessons...very interesting...might be worth a watch!!!xx

My nursery class (of 26) responded really well to the story 'Peace at Last' when we added in different sound effects. They all joined in really enthusiastically, which is key for a good / outstanding lesson (in my opinion!).

Laila what was your "Learning Intention" for the session where the children were making up own sound effects?

Many thanks, I am currently struggling with ideas for my observation too :o

Great advice and ideas here and I agree 20 is large and I would say too large a group in nursery to do such focussed work.

How about WriteDance etc. Remember in nursery CLL is also about the speaking and listening and if you are doing letters and sounds it is about tuning into sounds, listening and remembering and talking about sounds. I love the game postman's knocking and can be done as a circle game.

There is a book Singing Phonics full of great phase one activities they may be helpful with a group this size. Remeber if you enjoy it so will the children and if you do it outside they will enjoy it even more!

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)