Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Montessori Question

Can anyone help...I have a parent who takes her child to our setting and a Montessori setting......she said she needs him to go to the Montessori to learn to write and to ours to play :oxD

Do Montessori nurseries really teach the children to write?

We have the same quite a few of our go to the montessori and we get the same comments as you.

One parent even said their child needed the 'strong discipline' offered at the monti........I wouldn't mind but the one thing that everyone comments on when they visit us is about how quiet and settled all the children are with us, we seldom raise our voices and most of our children never run around inside even though we are in one big hall without free-flow outdoors.

xxx

Hi

I am Montessori trained and was quite sad to see that there still exists this misapprehension about Montessori versus other provisions. I have worked in many different settings and really there can be as much difference between two Montessori settings as between a Montessori and a so called non-Montessori.

With the EYFS the government has taken best practice from many methods and incorporated it into what we now have. I know some find the EYFS imperfect, but best practice is what we all strive for. At my setting the children play and discover things for themselves and have a great time. It's true that there are materials specifically designed to assist learning to write, in particular the sandpaper letters, but everything that children do through all their activities is implicit preparation for refinement of the fine motor skills needed for writing. Whatever the setting I believe that children show us when they are ready for writing. I don't think anyone has the monopoly on that!

Lesley :o

I was told by a parent that the local Montessori 'made' children 'write their name' before the parents left and why didn't we? So how long do you keep the parents there then? :o

Rachel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)