Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Differentiate In Your Phonics Sessions?

Hi,

I'm sorry, this is a really obvious and silly question.

I only started in Foundation in September and have really got going with the phonics. I now need to start to differentiate as some children are picking up the letters much quicker than the others etc...

I have one other adult in class.

How is the best way to do it?

Lizzi :o

Last year I took the main group who were coping well with learning the letter sounds, whilst my assistant took a smaller group and did extra Phase 1 activities and when she started to introduce the letter sounds she did it at a slower pace. Worked quite well for us, though the main group began to have divides as we got onto the later stages of Phase 3. We also had phonic activities available throughout the morning, and would try to support/encourage some children to these.

I think you need to keep it pacey and move whole class forward. Those that are having difficulties as Marion suggests need extra input not less or more of the same, you never know when the penny will drop, so to speak or perhaps they are not phonic learners and will need other strategies.

• 3 weeks later...
I think you need to keep it pacey and move whole class forward. Those that are having difficulties as Marion suggests need extra input not less or more of the same, you never know when the penny will drop, so to speak or perhaps they are not phonic learners and will need other strategies.

Thank you! I've had a go. I've been doing whole class with new sounds etc... then having small group sessions after with an adult, doing different activities (magnetic letters, reading captions etc...). Does this sound right? It seems to work and the chidlren enjoy the small group activites too. i'll see how it goes! Thanks for your replies. Any other suggestions or ideas are always welcomed! :o

I have had 2 groups from the start - the big most-of-the-class group, and a small group of 4 (my 2 year 1s and 2 able YR children). Until now, I have taught both groups, one after the other while my TA has supported both groups - I felt I needed (or should that be wanted - my TA is very capable!) to do both groups so I had a good knowledge of where all the children were, and it's also helped her to see their different levels - abilities and effort!

Anyway, soon after half term will be checking the big group for end of Phase 2, and if my assumptions are correct, will have some ready for Phase 3, and others who need to consolidate Phase 2, so my TA will have one of those groups - probably the consolidation group to start with, although we do swap around.

I do go through the Phases in terms of teaching order, but do try to include longer words (such as 'train' at Phase 3 - extra consonant - how naughty!) but only where the children are ready for it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)