Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Magic Week

Hello everyone!

A couple of the children in my class are really interested in magic and they keep casting spells on each other! This combined with the fact that Halloween is fast approaching made me think that a mini magic topic would be a good idea. I just wondered if you lovely people had any good ideas! So far I have come up with...

Magic prop box (for imaginary play)

Recipes and potions (messy play)

Magic colouring with those magic pens

Make wands/wizard hats (creative)

Abny other ideas I could add to the list? I'm being observed during the week so a really good lesson idea would be much appreciated!

Look forward to hearing your ideas

Thanks in advance!

Vicki :o

make the children disappear would be a good spell to master :o

On a more helpful and practical note...

can you make broomsticks outdoors? make and decorate wizards hats/ magic wands,/ invent magic words/ read room on the broom by julia donaldson/

I love the story Room on The Broom.

Maybe you could read the story one day and the next day leave things that the witch drops lying around, see what activities you could get from that?

You may be able to get some nice speaking and listening activities?

:D

This idea was suggested to me last week by an EYFS consultant because my boys (12 out of 14 children) are very boisterous and keep trying to murder each other but I'm a bit nervous because my most difficult boy is from a strong Catholic family. Should I speak to his Mum and ask her how she feels about the topic? Should I ask all my parents? Or should I just go ahead with the topic and deal with issues if they arise?

Thanks for any advice

To apologise for hijacking this thread :

Incidentally, I did a mini-topic on magic in another school a few years back and the children really enjoyed challenges like 'I want to make a potion with 10 legs or 6 wings or 12 spots - which animals can I put in? (had some plastic bugs, bats, ladybirds etc.)

could you have a cauldron - children guess how many of a certain object would fit in it - then count as they put them in until the cauldron is full -were they right?

could they make playdough - using black powder paint , glitter stars etc.,

look at spells - what do they need for this - how many of each - where can they find them - even use positional /directional clues to find the objects they need.

What about a magical supplies shop - they could make wands, hats, spell books etc to sell, plus cloaks, broomsticks and you could have bottles with potions (sealed lids maybe!) Packets of spiders, dragon scales, (just labelled you understand..!) You could have different sizes and weeights of bags labelled with whatever you want the contents to be and scales...... erm.... black cats, mice, spiders.........sorry, brain running out now !

Silly SOunds Soup game for CLLD - Letters and Sounds.....things beginning with a letter to go into the cauldron....? We have made potions all week this week with bowls of flour, lentils, baby oil, orange essence, herbs - the children have absolutely loved it....I think every one of our children has participated in this....I set it up on a round table with activity tray on top and bowls and ingredients inside......herbs are 19p in tesco and the sensory experience has been brilliant.....bonus the nursery smelt nice too!

Edited by Guest

WOW great odeas everyone! Thanks. I also thought about linking to the magic key stories. For the small world area I'm going to get some of that spray cob web stuff and make a Wizard's spell room!

Thanks again!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)