Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adhd Advice

well hope someone can advise me.I am currently working as a nursery nurse and am currently in a setting in preschool and one child there does have ADHD.I do have seemed to develop a good relationship with him.he does find it hard to stay on task,doesn't listen runs around screaming a lot and will not share to no end.the member of staff is good with him and seems to let him do what he wants to an extent however i am on my own with them sometimes and wondered if anyone knew how to deal with this situation or anyone who has worked in this area before,thanks!!

Edited by eclmmcca

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

is there any chance you could talk to the parents and find out what strategies they are using at home, how they gain his attention and what they use to help him feel relaxed?

Once you have spoken to them you may be able to work out how to create a further bond, build trust and learn from him too.

good luck,

spiral

ADHD needs to be diagnosed and is not easily done.

There are a variety of factors that would need to be considered by a multi professional team and they would offer advice as to the child's needs at that stage.

Many young children lack concentration and need careful direction but this does not mean they have ADHD. In my experience it is not a diagnosis that is usually made before school age, for this very reason.

If you have a good relationship with the child, then you are part way to meeting his need. Can you tap in on his interests?

Very rare for such a young child to be put on medication as there are such huge side effects.

ADHD covers a vast range of difficulties so without knowing the child it is difficult to advise (depending on the child some strategies can cause more problems than they solve)

ADHD can also have co morbidity with a number of other conditions and I would be very wary of proceeding without taking advice from SENco or EP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)