Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Activity For An Interview

Hello all!

I have an interview on Friday (9th Oct) for a job as a reception class teacher. I have to plan a 20 minute play activity for 4 children. In the 20 minutes I have to allow time for interaction with the children and some time to make written observations about one child in the group.

I had an idea of taking in some garden snails for the children to investigate. I thought we could discuss what they look like and the children could also hold them. I could then take the children outside at the end of the session to set the snails free!

Does this sound like a suitable activity for an interview situation?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Claire :o

Hi Claire

I had some great fun with the children and some snails once. We had them in a tray and then we had various bits and pieces including sticks (you can hang them upside down from these if they play ball) plus rocks and some magnifying glasses.

The children looked at them and then we built a 'bug box' for insects to overwinter. We also matched them against pictures in a book.

Are you working with a small group or a whole class?

Sorry I can see now it's just for 4 children, I think close observation would work fine (look at the trails they make too!) Or maybe snail racing with betting for PSRN (only joking with that one) :o

Tha t sounds really good with loads of links to the curriculum and discussion points. You could even take a very simple risk assessment (if they are handling them) to look really impressive!!!!

This sounds like great fun! Think of the follow up activities that could come from this stimulus - cutting along a spiral shell, playing with slime, modelling snails with dough...

Good luck with your interview! :o

Thanks so much for the comments everyone!

I have some good ideas now, just hope it all goes well on the day, I'm sure it will if I keep it simple!

Claire :o

Thanks Susan, it did go well and I got the job!

I'm really pleased as the school is so lovely, just looking forward to starting now.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Claire X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)