Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Stories

Hi all

I just wondered how people are organising their learning stories. I've just started doing them for the first time this year and have been putting in sticky labels of observations and photos in, in chronological order. Someone suggested putting them in areas of learning because it makes it easier to show evidence of specific subject areas when moderated on a particular area. But as lots of my observations are provide evidence for more than one area of learning when referenced to profile I would it difficult to know where to put them.

I have also been writing up next steps against some of obs in the learning stories. Following up the next steps either in planned activities or enhancement to provision. But I am finding that I have so many next steps for 31 children in my class that i find it difficult to follow up them all and to keep a track of which ones i have followed up and not etc - any advise?

Many thanks!!

Hello,

Our learning jouneys are not put into areas of learning, as you rightly pointed out that an observation might cover a few areas. Also I have seen learning journeys divided in this way, and it meant flipping through books to find the section that you want. I know I don't have the time.

Our learning jouneys seem to be organised like yours, with a mixture of observations, examples of 'work' and photos. Each observation is linked to an AOL, the strand and the age bracket. In terms of next steps, we do them half termly. As a nursery attached to a school, I have 45 children split over two daily session with only myself and my TA. We could not possibly (like you mentioned) plan next steps folowwing each observation- but we look for gaps and ways to further the children every half term and write the next steps in their books.

I'm sure lots of other people have lots of other ways of doing it. Bit this way seems to work for me!

Lindsy

My learning journeys are organised chronologically like yours. As everyone has said one observation can be evidence for some many different areas of learning/scale points.

I haven't yet worked out a way of dealing with next steps from observations of child initiated activities. Generally write a commnet at the bottom of the observation sheet but not sure I always act on them. Next steps from my adult directed activities are written on my plans and these are generally followed up on.

Would be interested to hear other peoples ways of dealing with next steps.

Our learning journeys are in date order.

Many photographs do cover various areas and I think this works fine for us.

We use mainly photographs, with some examples of "work"

I think the priority here is to introduce a system that you the staff can keep on top of. :o

Thanks for your replies, good to hear I am doing mine the same. Yes it is hard keeping on top of it all with a large class but finding them really useful.

Glad to hear i'm not the only one struggling with following up on next steps. Any other advise on this would be greatly received!

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)