Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenges

Guest kelh81

Guest kelh81

I've introduced challenges for the children to complete this year (Reception). If they complete the challenge then they get a sticker for their chart. My problem is that it's always the same children who are accessing them and, more significantly, the same children who are not! I'm just wondering what pther people do- do you 'make' the children complete the challenges or do the children choose and, if so, how do you target the ones who you really want to access them!

I would say it's probably a mix between maturity - some just want to play and aren't enticed by stickers and some children challenge themselves so don't need anyone to set them. I would also think that others would gradually do them as the year progresses. Just out of interest, what sort of challenges do you set them?

Guest kelh81
I would say it's probably a mix between maturity - some just want to play and aren't enticed by stickers and some children challenge themselves so don't need anyone to set them. I would also think that others would gradually do them as the year progresses. Just out of interest, what sort of challenges do you set them?

Maths, Phonics and then another. Last week they were sorting objects/ pictures according to their initial sound and putting them in the correct hoop- I did s & a for the first two days then t & p as we did them in phonics. I also extended this by having them sort words, i.e. recognising the letter. In maths they filled up numbered bowls with conkers ( I had so many that they had brought!) so they put 3 conkers in the number 3 bowl. Then they wrote a letter to Mr Big inviting him to tea- they had to read their letter to me/ TA to get their sticker. Not the most exciting activities so i do rely on the enticement of a sticker to get them to do it but, as you said, sometimes the enticement just isn't enough!

I'm setting up an area like this at the moment and I was thinking of using 25/50 piece jigsaws (good for logic and fine motor skills) and a box filled with rice/pasta with words with that weeks phonics sounds/letters. Children have to pick out only the words with the correct sound (eg. only ee words) using a pair of plastic tongs just to make it that little bit more fun. Not tried it yet, but I'm hoping it might encourage them to have a go.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)