Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kuw

Hello all, I have just got my first job as a rec teacher. I have set up an investigation table in my classroom and am not having much luck. The chn do not tend to go to this area much. At the moment I have a box with magnets, some mirrors, a box of stones for the chn to investigate. I am struggling with ideas of items to put out on the table. Any ideas you have would be great!!!! Thanks x

Maybe something simple to start off with - senses. Focus on one sense at a time -- a mystery feely box - can they tell what it is, describe it etc. smelly pots, pots with different things in to shake - find the two that are the same, lead onto making their own maracas, coloured paddles or glasses to look through, small samples of things to taste - unusual fruits, different flavours of crisps (allergies permitted and an eye on children for eating the lot given the rather worrying new about overweight 4 and 5 year olds). It might be that you need to do some adult input into the area before children take an interest.

Discovery bottles are good to - there's been some discussion on these a while back if you do a search - but basically they're bottles with water and glycerine or oil in and a variety of things to float in. If you're lucky they're like the snow globes you can buy.

Good luck,

Harricroft.

On our investigation unit as well as things you mentioned we have magnifying glasses, shells, anything shiny, bug collectors, bubbles, binoculars, torches, transparent coloured fans, spinning tops, coloured windmillsI may add further items when I think of them. I hope that helps.

Edited by SP61HJ

We like to have a mixture of stuff and vary it thro the year according to seasons/festivals/mini topics/visitors/trips/found objects/and - of course and most importantly - the childrens' interests. Some items such as magnifying glasses are there much of the time but other items eg those related to Chinese New Year may only be out for a few days. Make sure you provide a variety of man-made and natural objects, different textures and weights .Things such as tweezers can encourage fine motor skills. You will quickly find out the kinds of things your children are drawn to and that will give you ideas to take it on. Keep it simple to begin with and you can always ask the children what they would like on the table - they usuallly have the best ideas anyway!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)