Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help Needed!

Hi all,

I know there is loads to do with nursery rhymes out there, but thats the problem, how do I choose something to show me off in 20 mins! The school have said they are not so much looking for "what the children have learnt" but to "how you approach the task", meaning I should go in there all guns blazing right?

Any fantastic, knock your socks off 20 min R/YR1 Lit tasks or ideas would be great!

This HAS to be my last interview, I cant take it anymore!!! :o

When we used to do nursery rhymes I used to always enjoy doing Jack and Jill but I don't know whether it's knock your socks off. Mind you a lot of that was linked to making a bed for Jack and PSE on feelings.

Without looking at the planning from back then I'm not sure what else we did but something to do with rhyming comes to mind, or if you are confident doing some acting out. Jack and Jill would be good for that as you could think about what it's like to climb the hill then using faces to show expressions.

Another idea is changing a nursery rhyme - In Hickory Dickory - you could do the clock struck two the mouse found a shoe for example.

I hope that helps a bit. I'm sure someone else will be far more inspirational!!!

If you did Hickory Dickory Dock, you could give them a selction of old clocks to explore. Play What's the time Mr. Wolf? Set up challenges such as moving as many objects as possible from one basket to another using sand timers or use a stop clock to see who does the most of something in a given time - these ideas come from an old nursery rhyme campaign run by EYE. There is a Jack and Jill poster as well, with lots of questions to ask about the rhyme, such as how old do you think J&J are? are there any words you don't understand etc.

I like the idea of playing with the format of rhymes:

for example:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

Along came the children with paper and glue

And stuck him together as good as new.

Humpty Dumpty opened his eyes

(Falling down was such a surprise)

Then Humpty Dumpty counted to ten

And climbed back up on the wall again.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a chair

Whilst the barber cut his hair

He cut it long, he cut it short

He cut it with a knife and fork

All the kings horses and all the kings men

Said "Oh NOT scrambled egg for dinner again!"

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall

eating his bananas

where do you think he put the skins

down the kings pyjamas

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,

all the queens Corgies' found him all broke

They licked up some egg, but on the shell they choked.

His mum found him and asked him, WHY?

he replied "I thought I could fly"

Humpty dumpty sat on the wall

He really should have known better

Pushed, but made to look like a fall

And he wasn't wearing a sweater

The structure of the wall was incorrect

So he won 10 grand with Claims Direct. (Not this one, obviously!)

Humpty Dumpty went to town,

Humpty Dumpty tore his gown;

All the needles in the town

Couldn't mend Humpty Dumpty's gown.

Humpty dumpty drove a car, humpty dumpty didn't go far

and

humpty dumpty saw a bee, humpty dumpty had to flee.

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,

He didn't get bruised, he didn't get bumped,

Humpty Dumpty bungee jumped!

My vote would be for the 3 Little Pigs. Questions: Who knows this story? Can you tell me what happens? Which little Pig is the most sensible? etc. Then read them a short version of the story.

Bring along some straw, sticks and a brick, then get the children to brainstorm descriptive words or use a blindfold and get them to talk about texture. Then perhaps gather some rhyming words ('rough' 'tough' etc.) and create a whole class poem on the IWB.

I think the best approach is to ensure it's interactive, multi sensory and uses interesting resources. That way they can see you take a creative approach to literacy.

Hope that helps,

Sue.

Hi there -

I agree that Jack and Jill is a good one for PSE, Rhyme, Rhythm and drama opportunities if you want to make it very interactive - and there are loads of Science/DT type extensions you could suggest to do with: what you make buckets from, beds, what's a well and how does it work ? Is vinegar and brown paper a treatment you would like? Rolling different objects down different gradients....I could waffle on ! The other one I have used before is 'Pussy cat, Pussy cat, where have you been?' It's good for rhyme and lots of discussion about how the cat knew how to get to London, how did it get there,was it a VIP cat, loads on positional language ie where the mouse could hide, and also as suggested bef ore, you can make up your own versions with them : What did you eat? ...Candyfloss, cabbages, pancakes and meat/ What did you wear? cowboy boots and curly pink hair.

Good luck anyway - at least they have given you something good to get your teeth into and which they children should respond well to!Hope it goes really brilliantly :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)