Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Organisation Of Free Flow In Reception Class

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking of changing my free flow system in the classroom but i was interested in other peoples ideas and the way they set up their classrooms? We have a class of 28 children, when i am doing an adult led activity, the other children have a free flow system. However, i am thinking of using name labels for the children to take with them and stick onto the different areas eg... take it to the outdoor area, the computers etc!

I'd love to hear how others organise their free flow?

Thank you

I do a similar thing, my child can go wherever they like whenever. I don't do a name thing, but only because as so few of mine recognise their names, it would take a lot of adult supervision every time they wanted to change areas which in my mind defeats the object of free flow

Thank you, good point about children recognising their names. So do you let the children totally choose any area they like? ie writing table, home corner etc x thank you

We are totally freeflow and it works really well. They used to do a name system several years a go for certain things like role play area but they would forget to take their name out or put it in and just didn't really work. They just choose not to do it if it's too busy. They can go into any of the areas and choose what they want to do. The only restriction we have is the number of things we have out in each area just so that it's not too hectic or horrendous at tidy up time!

Edited by SP61HJ

Yes mine is totally free flow, as many children as they like can go in each area (a first for me this year) but it works really well - I only have 14 and lots of areas so that does also help. Although my can choose any activity they like, if they get something new out they have to put it away before something new comes out - this does mean stopping play to tidy up to begin with, but hopefully they learn quickly!

They love it, and it also allows for resources to be taken from one away and moved into another, which is fine by me. Last year I limited the number of children in each area, and found that certain children were being picked on and it always seemed to be them who needed to move out if there were too many, so thats why this year i tried no numbers. It seems to work fine, and the children are very good at moving if they feel too squashed.

Does anybody out there use a free flow system with 90 children?!! We are working towards free flow and using children's photographs to stick onto activities and areas where they would like to work. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received. :o

We had free flow with 56 children last term (30 Rec and 26 AM nursery in same class space), the children don't have to put names or photos up to show where they are working and we find it works really well. We always have a member of staff floating and they go where the majority of children are.

When I first moved into Reception the children used to have to put their names onto choice boards and there were restrictions on how many children could use each area, it was chaos! Children running to get to areas first, taking other children's names and hiding them so they could put their names up, not moving names when they changed areas oh and the problems we had when they wanted to dress up and then play in the sand with the toys from the small world or water tray, they didn't know what to do with their names!

So I scrapped the whole thing and now children work where they choose to, and if an area is too busy they choose to go elsewhere or that activity expands. You need to think about why you want them to put their names/ pics onto boards- is there an organisational or safety reason?

Why wouldn't free flow work with 90 children? We will have up to 86 children from next Sept and we are planning to have free flow still, it will just be between three joined rooms and outside rather then 2 joined rooms and outside.

oh my life 56 and 90 children, i shall never complain about 30 again. I really like having no number limit up im gonna go back to school and try it next week x :o

• 3 weeks later...

In my previous school we had 90 children in the Foundation Stage and free flow still worked! The 3 'classrooms' were zoned for different areas of learning e.g. a 'storymakers' room for CLL, discovery room for KUW, Construction/Number room mainly for PSRN, then they have the resources area for CD and free access to the outside area too. We usually have a member of staff based in each area on a rota. The children always seemed happy to move areas if it got too busy, some children don't venture out of their 'classroom' straight away anyway and others are permanently outside!

I introduced a 'learning passport' last year which each child has, there is a section for each area of learning and the children get a sticker on their passport if they've done an activity in that area. The passports are displayed on the wall and staff/parents/children often discuss how we get stickers for new areas. It seems to work well as a way of encouraging them to access all areas of the curriculum whilst still providing free flow!

In my current school we have a mixed FS/Yr1/Yr2 class of 9 children, whole different ball game!!! :o

We have free flow throughout the day, with staff supporting the children in their chosen activities and do not feel the need for any complicated systems of stickers or tick lists. If we notice the children don't access a particular area we will think whast we can do to make it more appealing for them.

S

In my previous school we had 90 children in the Foundation Stage and free flow still worked! The 3 'classrooms' were zoned for different areas of learning e.g. a 'storymakers' room for CLL, discovery room for KUW, Construction/Number room mainly for PSRN, then they have the resources area for CD and free access to the outside area too. We usually have a member of staff based in each area on a rota. The children always seemed happy to move areas if it got too busy, some children don't venture out of their 'classroom' straight away anyway and others are permanently outside!

I introduced a 'learning passport' last year which each child has, there is a section for each area of learning and the children get a sticker on their passport if they've done an activity in that area. The passports are displayed on the wall and staff/parents/children often discuss how we get stickers for new areas. It seems to work well as a way of encouraging them to access all areas of the curriculum whilst still providing free flow!

In my current school we have a mixed FS/Yr1/Yr2 class of 9 children, whole different ball game!!! :o

I like the idea of a learning "passport" - how do you work it - do children add their own stickers? - are these leftwith the activitie or with the passport? - do you add them at the end of the session/day? - how do you stop children just adding stickers even if they have not done the activities

I really like the idea of the passport when the children have visited an area. Do the adults give the sticker when the children have completed an adult focused task or do all areas including continuous provision have stickers that the children access independently?

Please could you let us know what the learning passport looks like? I have used the activity board for some time and I am very aware that some children are not accessiong all areas of the continuous provision. Having a learning passport would be an incentive to get some children to try out new activities.

Thank you for sharing a great idea.

Kathleen

Ohhh I too like the idea of the passport however I would love to know how it is organised!! I am assuming adults give children stickers for being in a certain area....do they have to be there so long or do a certain task there??! I know what my children are like....they will wait around and not do much in the area just to get the sticker so I would need rules lol....cheeky little b*****s!!!

Thanks

Claire

I love the idea of a 'learning passport'. INot sure how you organise it, but it has given me an idea which I may try. In my old school we used a High/Scope system in the afternoons. The children had planning books and they stuck a picture of the area they wanted to go in 1st into their planning books (e.g. rolling pin for play dough), we then reviewed this at the end of the afternoon. What I am thinking of now is each child having a laminated passport with their photo on front and pieces of sticky velcro inside. In each area of the classroom you could have a pot of pictures related to that area with velcro on and children just pop one into their passport when they go into that area. Then at the end of the session/day you could have a 'review time' and look at passports and talk about what children had done in each area. It would also mean that as adults you could keep a record of it. Also, the children could only put the same picture in once, which may encourage them to visit areas they may not usually. Once the system had been set up it would not be time consuming either - in my old school I was forever photocopying the little pictures and cutting them up, plus we got through stacks of Pritt Sticks! What does everyone think of this idea?? I am really just thinking out loud! It is so lovely to have this forum with the chance to get ideas and bounce your own off like-minded people - particularly when they are few and far between in your own school!

Ohh I like that idea Kathryn, it would def save on resources but adults could take the passports and put onto a table if the data needs keeping for tracking etc!! I think at first my little cherubs would go everywhere to get different pics but then in time calm down a bit with it!! I am a bit puzzled how I would do it outside though as we sort of have areas set up outside aswell e.g. psrn, lit area etc but some things change alot so would need lots of pics and organising to get up and running!! Also we are a large unit - 90 reception children and 26 nursery (am and pm)...we would need lots of pics in each area....hmmm def food for thought tho and if I can't use it now I would def use it if i moved to a smaller setting!! Thanks x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)