Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Stories

Hi,

Looking for some advice with following up next steps from learning stories. Each week myself and my 2 TAs complete 2 or 3 long obs or 'learning stories' this, of course, creates between 6 and 9 next steps for the children concerned. Some of these are specific e.g. enhancing an area of provision or providing a focused activity to meet the next step. However, some are more general e.g. support and encourage Johnny to talk through his activities by playing alongside him and modelling language and using open-ended questioning which all staff need to be aware of in case they become involved in Johnny's independent play. Last year (and so far this year!) we have been finding these next steps the hardest to follow-up as there is always so much to remember. Does anyone have a 'system' of following up these sorts of next steps e.g. do you have a list, does the key person make sure that they follow up all there own children's next steps in the following week?

Thanks

Green hippo

Oh what a good question- exactly what I need to know! I do hope someone comes along with a reply. I want to get the same thing going in my settings. I have tried getting practitioners to write their plans from the next steps without having to do anything in between but this does mean that you have to allow practitioners time to discuss observations that they have made to gather a picture of what is happening in the room.

Hi,

Looking for some advice with following up next steps from learning stories. Each week myself and my 2 TAs complete 2 or 3 long obs or 'learning stories' this, of course, creates between 6 and 9 next steps for the children concerned. Some of these are specific e.g. enhancing an area of provision or providing a focused activity to meet the next step. However, some are more general e.g. support and encourage Johnny to talk through his activities by playing alongside him and modelling language and using open-ended questioning which all staff need to be aware of in case they become involved in Johnny's independent play. Last year (and so far this year!) we have been finding these next steps the hardest to follow-up as there is always so much to remember. Does anyone have a 'system' of following up these sorts of next steps e.g. do you have a list, does the key person make sure that they follow up all there own children's next steps in the following week?

Thanks

Green hippo

Just an idea:

I use a planning diary where I record any particular chidren's interests, use of areas in the classroom and areas of concern as they happen. I think you could record the next steps in it as well. The diary is filled by me and my TA. We try and disuss recordings every day and think of relevant activities which go in the diary as well. I incorporate all of this into weekly planning either in adult-led, group work or child-initiated.

Hi all,

Great topic thread as i just logged on to ask some similar questions. I have myself and TA making observations on sticky labels throughout the week which we stick into their individual learning stories along with photos. I have 4 or 5 focus children each week which we do a longer obs of those children and we endeavour to follow these children's next steps within their child initiated learning (e.g. modelling play or open questions etc). But I am finding I have so many next steps that I need to find a system to manage them. Lots of the next steps are met by enhancing the continuous provision and lots by planning adult led activities but I am finding that I still cannpot meet them all.

At the moment all the next steps are written along side the observations in the learning story, so maybe I need to write the next steps in a planning diary as well and highlight as I meet them? Just worrying that I am duplicating work? It seems unmanagable to be referring to 30 inidividual learning stories so thought my recording the next steps in a book would help but still not sure how to record it - any advise?

I am going to start doing PLODs (possible lines of development) where lots of the next steps can be added to so this will support with meeting next steps too.

Not sure I have been any help, just added to the questions! xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)