Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Room For Speech

Hello and a Happy New Year to you all

I wonder if anyone can help me. :o At our nursery we are hoping to create a room dedicated to children who have some form of speech difficulty, what would you put in this room? how would you use this room? (As wonderful as you like). We are also hoping to open this up to other agencies and parents.

Many Thanks

Mella

What a wonderful idea and good luck with it!

Off the top of my head I thought of mirrors - ordinary, magnified and the ones that distort images ( like at fairgrounds) great for 'face games' - well to the children but to us I mean the exercises recommended by speech therapists to aid word formation. All the 'eeeee' and 'oooooo' etc can be done with or without the children being able to make the associated sound.

Don't know if thats any good but sure some others will come up with some great ideas, do let us know how it goes. :D

Puppets and theatre.

Small world resources

both to encourage speech, extension of speech etc

Wide variety of good quality pictures of objects and/or a range of objects in different sizes and colours etc to encourage vocab acquisition ie naming things and language of differentiation and position.

story books and resources like story sacks to enable them to be explored.

Our Speech Therapist usually works with the children in the main area of the nursery this way she can use the other children as positive role models. When she works 121 with a child she takes equipment from the nursey into her quiet room. This is so she can focus on a specific activity without distractions.

She has a range of party blowers to help children develop their oral motor skills which are sterilized after use.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)