Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Initial Observations

I am working with someone new this year and I want to make sure I am telling her the right thing. In the past I have always used these first few weeks to get to know the children without writing much down. We have had some training on observations and told that our written observations should be the unexpected things but at the moment everything is unexpected as we don not really know the children. My colleagues have been making lots of notes for scrapbooks etc... where as I feel we should get to know the children first otherwise there could be an unbalanced look in their scrapbooks, ie loads from the first few weeks. I just feel we should give them settling in time before we really start on the written down observations for their scrapbooks. Am I barking up the wrong tree? I want to do the right thing but not create extra work for everyone.

i think you do right and completly agree with marion just jot down the things that stand out that you will be trying to rack your brain abot what they where later x

With some of my little ones that started this week, if I have found out something, but it wouldn't be a WOW moment or later in the term I wouldn't note it as an obs, I have made a little note with a marker on a nice bit of paper like 'Harry has a dog called Lucky' and blue tack it to the wall.. This won't go in his profile but a. The other staff will know something he told me and b. the parents may see it in our setting and it shows we are learning about them.. If it was something like he chose yellow to colour the sun, then I would scribble that down for my profile. Does that make sense, hope so!

I finally got around to reading "Like Bees Not Butterflies"

and in the section by Jan Dubiel he talks about building up the knowledge of the child over periods of time. adding constantly to build a mental picture of the child's development - not always formally recorded and the purpose of this "live" information is to inform and help the practitioner shape provision.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)