Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Initial Assessments

I'm feeling really anxious about my initial assessments for my recpetion class- what should i be assessing? how should I assess it? Should i use post-it notes or are tick lists appropraite? any advice/tips would be great!

I usually look at the first 3 points of the Profile for a baseline/entry assessment and collect whatever evidence I need to record attainment. It might be that a tick list can suffice--separates from carer/ dresses self etc, you dont really need obseravtions or post its for that in my opinion, whereas other skills will be noted in different ways. If you have a particularly competent cohort or individual you might observe Profile scale points 4 and above but I usually leave those for the end of the term so that I can be sure that they are secure and not just one offs. Remeber you have 7 weeks to complete your initial assessments, unless that has changed recently. I actually got pulled up once in moderation for completing my assessment before that!

Ultimately though, you need to record your assessments in a meaningful way to you especially if you are new to this and not worry too much about what is right or wrong.

Thanks,

This looks really helpful and is just what I asked a friend from another school about today.

Hope the start of the new school year has been ok for you.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

I've been using this starting school booklet. I'm not sure where it's from as it was passed on to me from a FS teacher in another school. It's been really useful though - my TA and I spent last week administering it, and it was so much more efficient than what I did last year. This week we're doing their phoneme recognition, just seeing whether they recognise any letters/sounds.

Hope that helps :o

Baseline_assessment_booklet.doc

Forgot to mention the other big new thing we're doing this year...

Sure Start have given us Starting School boxes. The children take them home, decorate the boxes to personlaise them, then put things in them to bring to school such as photos, toys, things that remind them of home. Once we've collected the boxes in we will be sharing them in small groups. It's an opportunity for the children to tell us a bit more about themselves and share things that are special to them. Also gives us a chance to observe their confidence when speaking in front of a group, how they articulate themselves etc.

It was supposed to be a summer project that the children could bring in on the first day, but we waitied and gave out the boxes last week, just waiting to see how many come back - have had 2 already! I wrote the parents a letter explaining the project and they've been really supportive. Fingers crossed it's useful!

Might be worth looking into - not necessarily through Sure Start but something you could easily do? :o

Edited by Guest

Jess, we are doing that too! I was plannign on helping the children to decorate the boxes at school, then send them home over a weekend to fill up and bring back.

It's a good idea to share them in small groups - I might do this! I had been planning to do it one-to-one with an adult as I thought whole-class would be too much. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. We are hoping to start decorating our boxes next week.

Carrots x

Jess, we are doing that too! I was plannign on helping the children to decorate the boxes at school, then send them home over a weekend to fill up and bring back.

It's a good idea to share them in small groups - I might do this! I had been planning to do it one-to-one with an adult as I thought whole-class would be too much. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. We are hoping to start decorating our boxes next week.

Carrots x

Good stuff, let me know how you get on too. I was thinking about doing the decorating at school, but some of the children were asking for some home-work like their older siblings, so thought I'd risk sending them home. Had one mum come in this morning to ask for another one as the dad sat on it. Great start! Good luck with your project :o

Not sure where you could get them from. What about approaching shoe stores to see if they have old boxes they could donate? Or perhaps ask the parents for old shoe boxes, or boxes similar in size?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)