Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Setting And Reception

Guest colechin

Guest colechin

I have been manager of a nursery for 4 years. I rent a portacabin on our local primary school site. Over the years, I have seen 7 different reception teachers come and go. I have always tried in the early days to see if nursery and reception children could met and play together once a week. Some times this has happened but over the last 2 1/2 years this has stopped, including transition sessions for when my children were about to leave me to start the school in september.

A new reception teacher has just joined, very young and full of energy. Her mum has also just taken up a Head Mistress job in the next village, which also has a nursery on site which is independant from the school and has a good relationship.

The new reception teacher has agreed to met up with me, so I can show her the nursery and introduce myself and the staff. I would like advise from you all out there about how I should approach her regarding moving forward and intigrating the nursery with reception more.

This year reception and year 1 are together so I don't know if this will cause problems for her. Could you please advise me about how the nursery and reception should work together or how some of you work with your reception teachers. I do not want to ask for too much or something that is irrelevant, but I know that we should be doing somethings together as we are both 'Foundation Stage'

I look forward to your replies

Well it sounds like your making a good start by meeting together. I would just broach the subject, and work out the finer details together but do remember that it may not actually be that easy for her, she would need the agreement of her HT.

Good luck.

I am in a school based Nursery and am the FS coordinator and Nursery teacher. Our Nursery and Reception work very closely together. we do long term and med plans together. same obs sheets, assessment procedures etc etc. meet as a group once a fortnight. have shared play sessions twicee a half term which really pays dividends at transition time for Nursery going into Reception. Most important thing though is that we moderate out FSP assessments together to make sure that our Nursery judgements aren't too high as this would give Reception a real problem with their scores and progression.

Guest colechin

Thank you for your replies.

I was going to suggest that Nursery and Reception children meet up (all the children in reception moved over from the nursery this year) and have a play slot using the receptions classroom and play area. I originally was going to ask for a fortnightly play, as we use to meet up weekly years ago, but I now feel that is asking for too much.

I know the reception works with topics and medium term plans, as we do not. We plan each week.

I will wait and see how she would like us to progress as anything is better than what we have currently.