Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Meeting

I am 2 weeks in at my new job (Reception Teacher in Found Unit) and loving it. We are due to be inspected in next few months and have had a pre inspecpection visit from our authority. Part of the feedback was for the Foundation Stage to have more of a presence for want of a better word within 'school'. I was thinking about suggesting a whole school staff meeting (which frankly scares me but hey!) based in our unit to 'bridge the gap' and promote better communication etc. Anyone got any advice or views on this? Also what on earth could the said meeting actually be about - I want other staff to have a better idea about what goes on in Foundation as im sure many think we 'just play'....

Thanks i advance!!

Could you start by giving them a very brief introduction to the EYFS documents and committments. Then have a number of different activities (probably countinous provision activities) round your room and ask them to go round and decide what the children might learn from the activities. You could have simple charts with spaces for each area of learning and ask them to find development matters statements and pick out which ones could be developed through that activity.

Just a thought off the top of my head!

Good luck

Gruffalo2 :o

You need to have an activity session/ meeting where you set up various activities and invite your colleagues to suggest the learning that would be taking place and then blind them with science! Have your continuous provision clearly displayed and let them play!

Or better still, perhaps they can have some release time and come and see you and the children in action. Give them a clipboard and let them observe etc etc.

At the school I was recently working in, the head came up with the idea of all the teachers swapping classes for the day. Was interesting to see the Year 6 teachers doing a day down in Reception. Could you not maybe suggest this and then base your staff meeting on the differences/similarities between the different parts of the school?

At the school I was recently working in, the head came up with the idea of all the teachers swapping classes for the day. Was interesting to see the Year 6 teachers doing a day down in Reception. Could you not maybe suggest this and then base your staff meeting on the differences/similarities between the different parts of the school?

That would petrify me!

I was thinking about suggesting a whole school staff meeting (which frankly scares me but hey!) based in our unit to 'bridge the gap' and promote better communication

We did just this. Showed a powerpoint on EYFS (the one intended for parents) and a briefing on our new requirements-food safety-ratios etc.

we did a staff meeting i did a powerpoint on the key elements shared a bit of assessment date and by the time i had done that everybodys brain was boggeled and i recieved comments such as 'iv no idea how you do it' or the next week, yet funnily enough despite my offers for them to visit us anytime everyone has satyed away? :o

We had a staff meeting focussing on observational assessment using the video clips and getting staff to use EYFSP documents to make judgements. This helped to open their eyes to how we assess and although just a small part has helped to involve everyone. We are now introducing observational assessment across the school for PSE related things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)