Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Permanent Walk-in Sand Pit

We have been given permission to use a piece of land beside our garden and we are looking at putting in a walk-in sand pit. There is plenty of room for this.

I have looked at previous posts about outdoor areas but I can't find details of how far to dig down and what sort of things are available. I know you can get large wooden sand boxes to place in the hole but wondered if anyone has ever done this before to give me some hints on the best way forward.

Thanks. :o

Did you notice that the photo is credited to Timberplay, and they have a website that says they distribute Richter play equipment in the UK? Might be worth a look!

Did you notice that the photo is credited to Timberplay, and they have a website that says they distribute Richter play equipment in the UK? Might be worth a look!

No I hadn't noticed Weightman............thanks for pointing this out. I'll have another look.

Thanks again! :o

Just a thought but I did supply at a school which had its sandpit in a shed - it was fantastic!! Your principle of digging down would work but they had the back 2/3rds as the sandpit, retained behind a large plank wall. The front 1/3 was then carpet-tiled (so you could shake them clean) and there was a box of wellies for the children to change into. It was an all-weather, catproof solution which I loved.

(I was there during Ofsted and had the task of taking one very lively little girl to visit the sand shed 'out of harm's way!!' - multi-purpose eh?!)

We have had plans drawn up by Timberplay for our outdoor area (if/when the funding is available) and I've played in the sandpit in the picture (it's at Wingate Nursery). The company is fantastic (expensive) but offer a great service.

http://www.unitedplay.com/webcatalogue/

design2ak13.05.09fishburnA1.pdf

Edited by Marion

we have just had a sand pit put in our garden

it was made from railway sleepers it is huge, there was a thick plastic sheet lining the bottom, it holds 2 ton of sand,really big

I reckon all our children (20) of them could play in there

it has a cover

the sand we got at a reduced price from b and q and cost £200

the railway sleepers were £30 for a long sleeper and we probably used 3

labour was free

very lucky but it is good

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)