Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are We Supposed To Do A Psrn Focussed Activity Every Day?

Hi all!

I'm starting in reception next week (have been a kS2 teacher since qualifying 10 years ago) and am STILL not sure about lots of things!! I'm slowly getting to grips with it all. I've finally sorted the phonics side of it.

I'm just sorting out a 'loose' timetable for the day. I know I need a daily phonics session, but do I need a daily PSRN session too? My colleague says they shouldn't need a focussed session but I'd just like to check what other people think.

Please could someone help?!! Thank you! :o

I am just coming back to Reception after a few years at home with my children. In my new class I will only do 2 whole class numeracy inputs per week. We are going to have Letters and Sounds first every day, and then 2 'literacy mornings' and 2 'numeracy mornings'. During the numeracy mornings the adult directed activites will be numeracy focussed and some of the areas of the classroom will have numeracy based activities set up, but others will be free choice. I will do a whole class numeracy input after break on each of these days. I will also make sure to do lots of incidental numbers/counting as it comes up each day (e.g. how many children are here, date etc). Hope this makes sense!

You need a broad and balanced curriculum.

You will discover what you need to do for your children as you work with them.

Personally I found it very difficult to deliver all the objectives without a daily session or rather on 4/5 days a week but if you can deliver in less then providing your school are not objecting that should be ok.

Good luck.

You need a broad and balanced curriculum.

You will discover what you need to do for your children as you work with them.

Personally I found it very difficult to deliver all the objectives without a daily session or rather on 4/5 days a week but if you can deliver in less then providing your school are not objecting that should be ok.

Good luck.

Thank you. I think I'll do that then. I'll get to know the children first and see what works for them and how I'll fit it into the day. I think I need to stop stressing and get more sleep. It's amazing how a small thing can keep you awake all night! Thanks. :o

I don't deliver daily PSRN but there are daily opportunities to engage in PSRN activities in all areas during child initiated. Once I get to know the children I then know what to do as a focussed activity in PSRN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tend to do two adult intiated activities per week and each group participates on a rotational basis. Last year I did a PSRN whole class warm up prior to working with a group. This year I am trying out doing a wrm up with just the group I intend to work with. Seems to be working so far and means less time on the carpet for the whole class. I also ensure I have a PSRN zone availble in both the inside and outside environment at all times which will have either free choice or a child intitiated activity available. I hope this helps but I think its important to remain flexible and open to change depending on the intake you get.

We have PRSN and Phonics daily. Just for ten mins and they then go off and Explore (Play) basically doing independant activities I have set up for them relating to the PSRN and Phonics - though play and maybe ill walk round and ask a few questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all!

I'm starting in reception next week (have been a kS2 teacher since qualifying 10 years ago) and am STILL not sure about lots of things!! I'm slowly getting to grips with it all. I've finally sorted the phonics side of it.

I'm just sorting out a 'loose' timetable for the day. I know I need a daily phonics session, but do I need a daily PSRN session too? My colleague says they shouldn't need a focussed session but I'd just like to check what other people think.

Please could someone help?!! Thank you! :o

Hi Lizzi,

Im an NQT in reception after doing a primary degree so i know how you feel :S I had the chance last week to observe and question an 'outstanding' reception teacher, and she said that although it isnt statutory, she does a 10-15 focussed maths activity everyday (usually after break) - which will be based on the learning objectives for that week e.g. counting ot ten, recognising numbers to 10 etc. She said that they only decided to do this last year and have found that it really helps the childrens mathematical development! Ive now started doing it and the kids actually really enjoy it! i also do a couple of number rhymes during this period too!

How are you getting on in reception? i found it really overwhelming to begin with as it is sooooo different to what im use to in KS2 but im loving the challenge and the kids are adorable!! (well most of them :) lol ) Hope its going well for you xD

Hi Lizzi,

Im an NQT in reception after doing a primary degree so i know how you feel :S I had the chance last week to observe and question an 'outstanding' reception teacher, and she said that although it isnt statutory, she does a 10-15 focussed maths activity everyday (usually after break) - which will be based on the learning objectives for that week e.g. counting ot ten, recognising numbers to 10 etc. She said that they only decided to do this last year and have found that it really helps the childrens mathematical development! Ive now started doing it and the kids actually really enjoy it! i also do a couple of number rhymes during this period too!

We started doing 15 mins PSRN after play last year after Christmas and the children were really good. They had such good concentration and it was amazing how much they absorbed in that short time!

I'm an Primary trained NQT who has been working in school based nursery with rising 3s and 4s! Arghh! I continually feel that I'm not doing enough with the children! We do PSRN carpet input at the start of each session (my setting provides flexible delivery) and phonics part way through the session. I feel at a loss with targetted work/assessment/paperwork/etc! Help!

Hi.

Lots of the children's learning re PSRN is more effective if it is drawn out during their independent play. I don't think you need to do a formal daily PRSN activity. We certainly don't at out school and this has been advised by 2 Early years advisors we had to visit.

How are you getting on now you've started?

Hi.

Lots of the children's learning re PSRN is more effective if it is drawn out during their independent play. I don't think you need to do a formal daily PRSN activity. We certainly don't at out school and this has been advised by 2 Early years advisors we had to visit.

How are you getting on now you've started?

Thank you everyone for your replies, you're all so helpful on here!

I'm really enjoying it in the Foundation Stage!! It is SO different to kS2 and has taken a bit of getting used to, but it's great.

I haven't done a daily PSRN session, only a daily phonics session. I have found that a lot of number work comes through their play and can now see how it can be developed. It may be that later in the year I'll have a go at a daily session, but I think it's working ok without at the moment. I suppose it's just ensuring that there are enhancements etc that bring in maths. It's amazing how much they learn from playing!!

Thanks again for your help,

Lizzi! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)