Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Interests

Hi all

Im sure this is a topic that people are getting tired of discussing but i need some advice and support if possible and i thought what better place to come then here!!! I have been working as a Nursery Teacher for 2 school years now and ill be going into my third in September. The first year was topic based and the second was more child led however we still had topics. This year i would like to change it and be mostly child led however i do not know where to start at the beginning of the year. Do you still do MTP and LTP or not? Has anyone every heard of PLOD's (possible lines of direction)? I was introduced to these last year by one of the Early Years Mentors and its basically an individual plan for each child with their name in the middle and the 6 areas of learning in separate boxes surrounding. You put the child's interest in the middle and then list under all the headings activities/enhancements that could be introduced. If anyone does use these are these helpful, would you recommend them?

Also do you get the parents involved in the planning and if so how? I really dont know how all this is going to work with the new hours changing but i will have to try and find the best way to manage.

I would appreciate any help at all.

thanks

Kate :o

The first year was topic based and the second was more child led however we still had topics. This year i would like to change it and be mostly child led however i do not know where to start at the beginning of the year.

I know how you feel about whether to use a topic or not but this article in EYE gave me some food for thought - not so much topic based but using a "provocation" to at least begin some lines of direction.

I have copied this to my staff team for discussion and will be giving it a try (not the actual idea but the concept) this term to see where it leads.

Edited by HappyMaz
To remove article in order to comply with copyright