Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Couple Of Q's About Reception

Hi, im starting to stress alittle about my new venture to Reception so im hoping you could share a couple of things with me-

First one is what kind of things do you plan on doing in the first week back? Do you not plan and just go with the flow at this point to let them settle in or have some structured activities?

Also, what do your children do first thing on a morning to busy themselves till formal registration or whole class work?

Thanks for reading :o

All of my rec chn are in school untill 1pm for the first week-not had them all in at once before-previously had half in morn and half afternoon. Due to all of our chn now being entitled to free school meal from Sept the head wanted them all in together. I am planning to take things very slowly, ensuring that I introduce routines such as rolling snack/ tidying up/ going to toilet etc. very gradually. Also I plan to do circle time each day, just getting to know the children and also them getting to know one another, as morning and afternoon Nursery chn will not have met much ! The rest of the time I will allow children to do CI activities and I will spend time playing with them/ observing and generally getting to know them and them me! Will include some stories/rhymes also. Don't know if this is the right thing to do - just thought it would be too much to try to go onto a normal timetable and do phonics/PSRN each day as well as other activities.

What does everyone else do??

Any good tips would be helpful.

Hi there I havent posted for quite some time now so need to get up to speed

we still have morning and afternoon children- younger in the mornings for 4 weeks and then older children in the afternoons fro 2 weeks who then start full time. we find that this is quite easy to handle for both the children and us

we have all CI activities for the first half term whilst we observe and baseline all the children through obs

some activities are 'encouraged' to help our obs.

We too use this time for circle time and how to use the classroom resources and our routines- we have children from so many different nurseries that we need to find some common ground

we start to introduce PSRN and letters and sounds activities towards the end of the first half term

hope this helps

In the first week we will be thinking about our class rules, doing 'getting to know you' circle times etc We will also be modelling how to use the different areas in the classroom, and tidying up. Then lots of CI play and observations.

When the children first come in in the morning, there are activities set out for them on their table which they use after having self registered. Then we all go to the carpet for our adult focussed teaching.

Good luck!

This is exactly what we do too. I do a couple of simple adult led activities like draw a picture of yourself and write your name(if able to help with my baseline assessments. The rest is child intiated and modelling the areas and routines.

Good luck x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)