Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

People Who Help Us

Hi

I'm thinking of covering 'people who help us' this term for the first time- but i am struggling for some really inspiring activities particularly for PSRN, if anyone has alredy done this topic and wouldn't mind sharing their ideas i wiuld be most grateful.

We struggled too so we change the title to How can I help you? and that made a big difference.We did school-office, caretaker, cleaners, dinner ladies.Local area-visit to local parade of shops, chip shop, estate agents,newsagents, post office. The local large supermarket is tesco's so we ordered on-line, had it delivered and baked buns.

For fireman:

song 'Five Little Fireman Standing in a Row'

Making ladders to reach the top of the doll's house/outdoor play house or own construction

If you were feeling brave you could have 'fire hose's (water pistol?) attached to different lengths of string so the children could experiment with which areas they could put out fires depending on how far the 'hose' will reach

For fireman:

song 'Five Little Fireman Standing in a Row'

Making ladders to reach the top of the doll's house/outdoor play house or own construction

If you were feeling brave you could have 'fire hose's (water pistol?) attached to different lengths of string so the children could experiment with which areas they could put out fires depending on how far the 'hose' will reach

I like the idea of the 'fire hose's' but not sure it would go down well with the head.

Have you got the rest of the words for the song - the boys are really into firemen so the song would love the song.

Thankes for your replies, any more would be most welcome.

Instead of water pistols in oour Asda they have reduced gardening spray bottles to 25p each would these be more acceptable for the Head?

5 little fire men

standing in a row

1,2,3,4,5 they go

hop on the engine with a shout

quick as a wink

The fire is out

or something similar. I thought it was on the tweenies website but couldn't find it.

I will hunt the video out later and check they are right

Instead of water pistols in oour Asda they have reduced gardening spray bottles to 25p each would these be more acceptable for the Head?

5 little fire men

standing in a row

1,2,3,4,5 they go

hop on the engine with a shout

quick as a wink

The fire is out

or something similar. I thought it was on the tweenies website but couldn't find it.

I will hunt the video out later and check they are right

Thats great, thanks a lot- i love the song. Spray bottles are great we use them during the summer - don't know why i didn't think of that idea- i think i've gone brain dead, too long on the computer.

I like the idea of the 'fire hose's' but not sure it would go down well with the head.

Have you got the rest of the words for the song - the boys are really into firemen so the song would love the song.

Thankes for your replies, any more would be most welcome.

We use those grey foam pipe lagging things as hoses (do you know what I mean?)for indoor role play area. They are light, flexible and don't damage people or equipment if fires are put out too enthusiastically.

Last time we also linked super heroes to people who help us by talking about real life super heroes, how we could be super heroes -kind, helpful etc, recycling, not dropping litter...... We worked with parents to collect aluminium foil and cans and recycled them in aid for Yorkshire Air Ambulance, this got lots of parents involved and got the children talking about different jobs.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

here are a few ideas i used,

Role play - dressing up as doctors, nurses etc (Great for language observations)

Telephone local road safety department they sent me lots of photocopiable activies,etc and i arranged for them to come into nursery and demonstrate how to cross the road carefully was fantastic!

Got kitchen staff from school canteen to come in and talk about healthy eating.#

Local doctors telephone them ask if nurse can spare ten minutes to come in her unifrom and bring in equipment and talk for a short while.

Ask parents to volunteer to come into school and talk about their roles nurse, fireman, etc.

In the sand i put firestation with small world people and used yellow hats to say only 4 children to play in sand at anyone time, they loved this.

in the water did seaside scene and included divers and lifeboats etc.

HOPE THESE HELP!

CHRIS X :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)