Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Choosing Board?

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. In sept we are changing into a foundation Stage Unit. We wont have many children, 30 at the most I think. The unit will consist of 2 rooms and an outdoor area. We are going to use one room, as the continuous base, for example, self register, register, whole group time etc. Someone suggested using a choosing board and having this static in this room too. So when we have completed the register the children can then choose what they want to do, by putting their name next to an activity on the choosing board, depending on the number of spaces that the activity allows. Ie, sand, water, small world, mark making area etc. Does anyone else use a system ike this? Does it work well? My concern is that it would take too long by the time each child has choosen and if they are in the next room, after finishing what they have been doing, coming back to the choosing board each time, might get tedious for them and by the time they have come back, chosen and gone to find that activity, they would have forgotten and possibly got way laid! Any useful suggestions, ideas would be very welcome please x x x

We used to call this method the 'Menu system' and it was popular in the mid 80's and it doesn't allow for the children to be lead by their thought lines-not sure who recommended it to you? I can understand from a safety aspect you may want to keep track of where children are but you should have enough staff for one each room. Sounds very formal and I'm not sure the youngest in your unit would manage it.

I would have to agree with Biccy regarding the board.

At my last nursery we had to use one of these (I am LSA) and it took so long the kids got bored, they had to stay on that activity until the bell tinkled too it was awful. Not conductive to the socio-cultural basis of the EYFS at all.

I would say please don't use one, but that is only my opinion.

V

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)