Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenge Box

Hi,

for the first 5 weeks of term i've only got my Reception children in class for the morning and so am trying to plan some fun activities for my Year 1's to carry out in the afternoons.

I've come up with the idea of a 'Challenge Box' where the children choose challenge cards each day to carry out in a small group or individually. If anyone can think of any challenges for me to include I would be really greatful!

Thanks.

That sounds like a fab idea. I will be in the same position as you and think I may try something similar. I was thinking about having a 'topic' related challenge in each area of the classroom for the week, and a list in each area for them to record when they have completed the challenge. We are going to start off focussing on buildings so I was thinking of things like: Can you make a model of your house using the recycled materials? Can you write a letter to someone who lives in your house? Can you make a picture of your house using the gummed shapes? Can you make your own den outside? etc. I will be interested to see other replies too!

I did something very similar to a challenge. I spllit the chidlren into groups of 2/3/4 (doesn't matter) and gave then all a shoe box. they all had the same resources and challenge inside the box but all had to come up with the best idea/result. My favourite one was a box with selotape, straws, lolly pop sticks, dowling, glue, blutack, plasticene, paper of different types and thicknesses. The challenge was to build a raft that could carry a load from one side of the tank to the other. They also had to make a load to carry out of those resources too. Some amazing results and all groups also went back to improve their work after seeing others rafts so it just kept going.

Hi

have you looked at the sparklebox website. I think it has a challenge area resource you can print out. Sorry for short reply but on phone. Takes ages to type. Hope that helps x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)