Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Can You Help? Routines Yearr/1 Class

Hi all,

Sorry it's me again. I really could do with some advice. I have a R/1 class. The majority of the children are reception. At the moment i feel my classroom is not really exciting, it's not split up into defined areas and still far to structured. I need to change but I'm not sure what to do. I know I need far more free flow and child initiated time but then i am aware of the year 1's needing to cover eveything. What do you do???

I was thinking of going back to literacy mornings and numeracy mornings rather than trying to do both numeracy and literacy in one morning. Is that ok? I was also thinking of having one differentiated focus task so that by the end of the morning I have seen or my T/A has seen all of the children/groups. The other children can have free choice when they can pick out the resources they would like to use. Is one focus task for the whole morning enough??? Should the children who are doing child initiated tasks be using a planning board or something similar? Any suggestions would be fabulous as I feel quite lost at the moment and just want to do the best thing for the children. Please could you tell me what you do?

Hi all,

Sorry it's me again. I really could do with some advice. I have a R/1 class. The majority of the children are reception. At the moment i feel my classroom is not really exciting, it's not split up into defined areas and still far to structured. I need to change but I'm not sure what to do. I know I need far more free flow and child initiated time but then i am aware of the year 1's needing to cover eveything. What do you do???

I was thinking of going back to literacy mornings and numeracy mornings rather than trying to do both numeracy and literacy in one morning. Is that ok? I was also thinking of having one differentiated focus task so that by the end of the morning I have seen or my T/A has seen all of the children/groups. The other children can have free choice when they can pick out the resources they would like to use. Is one focus task for the whole morning enough??? Should the children who are doing child initiated tasks be using a planning board or something similar? Any suggestions would be fabulous as I feel quite lost at the moment and just want to do the best thing for the children. Please could you tell me what you do?

As I am just in reception it is easier for me but i currently run my day like that with lit or num in the morning so it sounds great to me! I am sure that will be fine for year 1 too, it is how i would run year 1 if I taught it but maybe someone else with more experience will say otherwise as I have only just completed my NQT year and not in KS1!

What you can do if you are worried about year 1s not having enough structured work is to give them an independent task a day or morning or a few that run all week. Model on the carpet and they can complete it during their chosing time at some point in the morning at their choosing. That way it makes them more indpendent too.

Hope that is useful. x

In our LA at moment transition is the big word and initiative and hence don't worry about providing a FS curriculum in ur class to start with. Do u do Plan do review or equivalent? In our YR we do PDR first thing every morning until playtime which provides child initiated learning for a large part of the morning. In year 1 they do it too for an hour until the Spring term. Maybe you could try doing independent tasks first thing??

Redbase :o

I would run the day like YR and then differentiate for the Y1s in my small group time and my intereaction with them at Plan Do Reveiw ( PDR). Later in the year I would give Y1 challenges to complete during PDR that are related to whatever is the theme in class at the moment. I certainlky wouldn't go back to doing Lit and Num ( although we never did take this on in our school) but put this into my small group time and I always have 2 child initiated each day where the children have a free reign as to their play.

Hope that helps!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)