Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Elves And Shoemaker And Literacy

Help. I'm busy planning for Ofsted week and my mind has gone blank for literacy. I know what I'm doing in most other areas although I haven't written it down yet. I am using the story of elves and shomaker as a 'theme' for the week. Our main theme is Clothes which includes uniforms, special clothes e.g for weddings, Christenings, jobs etc.

In classroom we have already set up role play areas of shoe shop and police station so there will be lots of opportunity for structured play but I'm at a loss as to what to put down for my 'literacy activities' Obviously reading the story is one thing. I usually have groups doing a number of things e.g. with me reading scheme books or making speech bubbles from text, sequencing story etc but I'm concerned tht ofsted won't want to see reception class children 'sitting' at tasks.

Any ideas or thoughts graefully received.

hi Pepsi and welcome! :D

The story of the elves and the shoemaker is not one I have "done" but I can imagine that there are lots of links and activities that can follow from this although literacy could be a little more difficult especially if you are thinking without adult focus?

I do think however that you need to provide the same sort of activities as you would normally during your Ofsted week though or you run the risk of the children not coping. Perhaps you could model or work with an activity in a more structured way on Monday and then have it available for free play on Tuesday etc? If you make sure your activities are related to the story and not too tenuous you should be ok. Also make sure your activities are integrated and balanced-- You wont all be writing speech bubbles at the same time, will you?

Have fun and good luck.

Hi Pepsi, your topic is the same as ours. We're going to do more along the line of investigating materials as we cover uniforms etc in 'people who help us'. We're starting off with Cinderalla and then The Elves and the shoemaker which is when we'll be setting up our shoe shop. I'm afraid I haven't got many ideas at the moment-that's what I was coming on for when I noticed your post! I've not even laid my hands on a copy of the story yet so you're well ahead of me! (is yours a big book?) I too was thinking of sequencing the story but can't think of many 'independent ' tasks. I suppose my CLL that week could be acting out the story in the shoe shop but as for reading and writing activities....it would be nice to have a match the word and picture board with eg pictures of elf, shoe, woman, man, needle or whatever (??!!) down one side and the words jumbled up down the other and then they hav to match by threading a lace. Does that make sense? I have made these using photocopyables in Jolly phonics but don't really fancy having to make new ones just to fit this book. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else and would appreciate any other ideas if anybody has any! :o

What about making a list of noisy words - to go with your hammering TAP ~BANG SNIP~ SCRAPE ~

Let the children record different noises with the use of a tape recorder - practice this first or they won't know how to use it on the day the inspector calls.

What about a home made sequencing game - dressing the Elves in sequencing link this to Maths for big and little.

I found an old Last in a junk shop and gave it to the children with an old boot, a hammer and some nails they took it inturns to "mend the boot".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)