Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Unit

Hi, this year is my NQT year and I am in Reception. My school is moving towards developing a FS unit at Easter. I am going to be the person running the unit. I am quite excited about it, but I need loads of advice about the running of and planning for - I have been reading with interest the posts.

Does anyone run a unit in the Doncaster ish area that I could visit??

Also, as an NQT can I expect a pay rise??????!!!!!!! I have been to see one unit and another 2 lined up after Christmas, but I am using my NQT release time to research the unit idea.

Any comments, ideas, help etc?? Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi

Have you had any good ideas posted to you? I am in the same situation as you but our unit won't start until September. I am based in Nottingham so not too far away. I'm particularly interested in planning and organisation. Did you get a pay rise?

Boogie :)

Hi Boogie and welcome to the Forum.

We started our Unit in September, we've had lots of changes since then!!

There are lots of posts about Units for you to read through!

Let us know a little more about how your Unit will be set-up, there are ever increasing numbers of us who may share their experiences.

There is also an article about Units here.

Hi Boogie, my wall is being knocked through on Monday - yikes!! I have been looking at other units locally and have made my plan for ours. I still am looking for advice on how to plan for a unit. Not sure yet whether I will be getting a pay rise.

Chris

Hi Magenta, Susan and Chris,

We are currently running as a part time pre-school. All day Monday and Tues, Wed, Thurs Fri mornings. The children can attend for 5 sessions of their choice so we never have the same children for a run of five morning or five afternoon sessions.

I am currently in the Foundation 2 (reception) class. We are an open plan school so the pre-school leads into my classroom and we share the same toilets etc. The pre-school supervisor and I currently plan topics together and work as sort of a unit on Monday and Tuesday afternoons but keep seperate in the mornings.

We are working on a large outdoor play area which should hopefully be ready in September.

The pre-school will have about 20 children on roll and I will have 10 in September which will increase each term, until I eventually have 30 in the Summer term.

The main thing that we are trying to get our heads around at the moment is the layout of the rooms, indoor and outdoor free-flow play and the planning for both pre-school and Foundation, so that all of the pre-school children can access the activities throughout the week.

How does it all work together?

Any advice anyone?

Boogie :o

Hi Boogie

I work in a unit in Derby so your welcome to come visit anytime - our layout was established when the nursery school closed down and joined the school.

we're inner city so don't have much out door space and the room layouts are akward but we are getting there! We've been up and running since September have 62 nursery chn over two sessions and 21 full time reception and then there is a separate reception class of 30. We haven't mastered the assessment side yet but have advisors coming in over the next few weeks. I have organised to go visit other units in Derby. I don't run the unit on my own tho i share with a deputy head, I teach nursery and she teaches reception and we plan together for all the shared child initiated activities.

My plans are on the site somewhere but pm me if you want me to send to you!

Keep us updated on how it all goes!

Hi Kavmar,

I'd be really grateful if you could send me your plans. It might give me some idea of where to start from.

Thank you Boogie :D

Hi Kavmar

It was really interesting reading about your foundation stage unit. I teach in Derbyshire and am in the process of researching how a unit would work in my school situation. It would be great if i could come and have a look how you have it set up to see if it would work in my school.

• 1 month later...

Could you send me your plans sometime. I've been asked to set up a unit for Sept. There will be 33 receptioon children and 20 nursery children. Any help would be great!

Many thanks

LouiseK :)

Hi Boogie

I work in a unit in Derby so your welcome to come visit anytime - our layout was established when the nursery school closed down and joined the school. 

we're inner city so don't have much out door space and the room layouts are akward but we are getting there!  We've been up and running since September have 62 nursery chn over two sessions and 21 full time reception and then there is a separate reception class of 30.  We haven't mastered the assessment side yet but have advisors coming in over the next few weeks.  I  have organised to go visit other units in Derby.  I don't run the unit on my own tho i share with a deputy head, I teach nursery and she teaches reception and we plan together for all the shared child initiated activities.

My plans are on the site somewhere but pm me if you want me to send to you!

Keep us updated on how it all goes!

28440[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)