Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shape

You could pre cut out different shapes out gummed paper then ask the children to choose their favorite animal and try to use the apropriate shapes to make it. For example a giraffe could have a square body, a long rectangle for it's neck and four more for its legs or a ladybird has a round body and and maybe eight smaller circles on its back....

hey! I did shape the week that ofsted were in and my kids had such a good time. I have a mixed reception year 1 class and we did loads of practical activities. The reception kids made some great shape pictures, they had the choice to either use the shapes we'd cut out or tyhey could draw around plastic shapes and cut them out to maqke their own. ALL of them chose to do the latter and with great success. I had shown them a couple of ideas of a house and a person but they came up with all sorts of pictures by themselves ( I was working with my poorer year 1s at the time so couldn't help them) They also made loads of 3-D models with the bricks and solid shapes and then played with them by adding bits of different construction in e.g. they built a house then got some of the duplo people out of the duplo box to play in their house. My class also enjoyed drawing around the shapes to make pictures without cutting them out and then spent AGES colouring them in. We also had a great practical activity that I borrowed from my fiance's mum which were these big plastic triangles and loads of different shaped plastic pieces which they had to fit in somehow. Most of them couldn't do it and left huge gaps but one of my reception children showed she had a real eye for a puzzle and a problem (yay tick on FSP box 8 in SSM!) and made the most beautiful patterns. She had a real eye for it and I've never seen a 4 year old sit for so long (nearly an hour one afternoon) to achieve something that the Y6 teacher and class were impressed with! (we took her to show it as she was so proud of it!)

Some other shape work that i've done was to make potatoe prints. I cut large potatoes in half and cut different shapes out of the bottom of them. Then gave the children different colour paint trys and they printed, trying to make a pattern onto fabric which we then kept for them to make play tents with. It worked really well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)