Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Traditional Tales

Hi everyone!

We are doing traditional tales for our first topic in Reception this year and although I have lots and lots of fun activities for literacy and numeracy for some of my tales, I'm struggling with the 3 billy goats gruff and little red riding hood. I'm going to do role play for the billy goats using sparklebox masks etc but little red riding hood is stumping me! i keep forgetting that the children can't actually write words at the start of reception! I'm going to do positional language for maths along with patterns for billy goats gruff but want some exciting activities for literacy and numeracy really!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Charlotte

How about map drawing, items in the basket for Grandma, sizes - teeth ears etc?

Story sequencing? I've done this for goldilocks and the little red hen as well as the hungry caterpillar and they've been really popular with the preschoolers. It took me a while to source pictures and I did a variety of clipart and pictures from colouring books, laminated them then did key words, laminated these too then velcroed the back for the children to use on the felt board.

Sam

We have 'Tell me a story' as our interest simulation phrase for the second half term. Little Red Riding Hood is one we have in mind with half an eye on story sequence. I've bought these for my resources but that's as far as its gone until the children have a hand in the planning

.Red Riding Hood puppets

we did billy goats gruff in the tuff spot -turf on one side, compost on the other with a foil and water stream down the middle and the children had to use available resources to build the bridge. The children loved the story so much they wanted to reenact it themselves and make a video - obviously lots of literacy links there

We had a tape of Billy Goats Gruff which was designed for use in PE sessions. The narrator told the story and suggested different activities based on the story throughout e.g. moving like the goats - skipping, lunging, trotting etc. The tapes were in school when i arrived so i'm not sure where they came from but i'm sure you could find them on google or something!

I think they made have had them for other Traditional Tales too but not certain.

Sorry can't help with LRRH but this is what we did in the 3 billy goats gruff, sorry they aren't all related to numeracy and literacy:

We grew different types of grass

We tried goats cheese and goats milk

We labelled the parts of a goat

We designed our own troll

We acted out the story and used different drums for the goats crossing the bridge

We designed and made bridges

We visited the local farm to look at the goats

We drew story maps

We put the goats in height order

We used 2story (2 simple software) to re-tell the story

and lastly we learnt this terrific song that comes on a tape with the book from Marks and Spencers; it is hilarious and the kids loved it.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)