Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Eyfs Are We Supposed To Follow?

amarrian

The last time we tipped our whole record-keeping database upside down was last summer when we adopted the six areas of learning, their aspects (sub-headings) and the assessment scales from the EYFS Statutory Framework - May 2008 document. Since then we have paid attention to the EYFS Profile Handbook 2008 which, although it alters the wording of the assessment scales, nevertheless conforms to their meaning. Now, looking at the National Strategies, I see that the six areas of learning have been split into even more aspects. For example, the Statutory Framework has no aspects for KUW whereas the National Strategies has six. I can't see additional assessment scales to match these new aspects; possibly I've missed them

My question is this: is it within the scope of the EYFS to continue to use the May 2008 document as there is a limit as to how far we can go to accommodate myriad government intiatives?

As an aside, it is interesting, and gratifying, to see the whole government thrust of early years education moving towards Montessori

Might be sounding a bit thick here. The srategies you are talking about as in the May 2008 one....is that the EYFS Curriculum we are meant to be following?

Do we use the Primary National Strategy aswell?

Hope you can clear my mind.

xx

• 1 month later...
The May 2008 is the statutory document the strategies site it additional guidance the statements in bold correspond to ELGs

Our Ofsted inspector was a little sniffy about the considerable amount of work that we have done to link scale points to Montessori exercises. She said that the EYFS Statutory Framework scale points were for reception classes and didn't apply to us (we are registered for children 30 - 60 months). Most of our children leave aged 4.x and will turn five in their primary school. Would we be better advised to demonstrate the connection between Montessori (and other) activities and the "Development matters", for the 30 - 60 month age range, contained in the practice guidance? The importance of doing this is because an Ofsted inspector may have a poor (if any) understanding as to how a particular piece of Montessori equipment works and so it is useful for them to be able to see how equipment which they may not often come across is contributing to the development of the children

Edited by amarrian

Our Ofsted inspector was a little sniffy about the considerable amount of work that we have done to link scale points to Montessori exercises. She said that the EYFS Statutory Framework scale points were for reception classes and didn't apply to us (we are registered for children 30 - 60 months).

The scale points are for end of EYFS assessment not planning which is what she probably meant but if you have children who are 5 years of age in the summer you will be responsible for their assessment using scale points.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)