Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing For P.e

Hi everyone, i have just completed my first year, got the jist of it but have such alot to learn, i am seeking advice on what to do during the craziest time of the week 1. whilst they are getting changed for p.e and 2. home time and getting books bags etc.

I play mission impossible music and have a timer to speed them up, i also gve bannan chips for those who are ready before the timer runs out. But how do i keep those who get ready super quick entertained whilst we wait for those, which everybody has in their class, who take forever?

During home time i try to stagger the chilren getting their things but it just ends up chaos?during all of this i wear an expression whch is part bemused at how my normally calm environment has ended up like a cattlemarket and hopeless that its the same eveytime!

:o

Hi,

My quick (it's all relative though!!) changers sit on the carpet with a book. For the very slow (usually only one or two), I usually leave them to finish off (supervised by my TA) while we go and get started, in the hopes that they think they are missing out and hurry up! However, I only do that towards the end of the year. It really worked with one boy who was slow at everything but totally capable (not deliberate I'm sure!!!).

Hi

I usually get them all underway changing.

I then insist on no talking for about 3-5 mins whilst they get changed. I then say anyone who talks next to you please put up your hand. This generally stops everyone talking for a bit and means the children concentrate on what they need to do. As they so young I don't expect complete silence as they need to ask for help but it does speed things up bigtime as they find chatting and changing virtually impossible to do at the same time!!

Those who have finished can help others by tidying their clothes or undoing butttons or shoes and then we line up whilst I count who is ready and encourage others to change quickly by saying who's going to be number 15, 16, 17, etc in the line. Also I do mental maths "what will it be with 1 more in the line,2 more, 1 less etc."

Going home is more chaotic but I try to chill as this is winding down time and the children are often tired. Those children who think it is time to mess about are asked to sit in our wet area and watch the others. They don't like that much as they want to be with others and this usually puts pay to purposely annoying the other children.

We have had a chart in the past with a particularly tricky class. The group ready first got a star on the chart and this worked quite well for a while.

Redbase :o

ooo i like the mental maths and star chart. thank you very much. cant put a price on experience cant wait to clock some up :o

Hi

Changing for PE at the beginning of the year (or when we first do it!) is very controlled, I do this to teach the children how to get changed and where to put their clothes so we can find them when we get back - I call it 'synchronized changing!' The children all go and sit in their places in the cloakroom, we then do one thing at a time together, all following my instructions, one instruction at a time, waiting for the slower ones eg Get your pe bag on your knee, Take off your socks or tights and put them in your shoes, empty your pe bag, take off your skirt or trousers and put them in your pe bag etc etc It takes a while at first but is very controlled, you can spot who needs support and you are teaching them how to do it so should speed things up in the long run - also should reduce nude changers!

For going home, I send the children a few at a time ti get changed and then they find their folder and sit on the carpet, we have gentle music playing and one adult sits with the children on the carpet and the other supervises the cloakroom. We review what we have learnt and discuss tomorrows learning whilst stragglers are getting ready. The children have to be sitting silently before we open the door and I say their names one at a time as I see their parents.

Helen

I did find getting the children ready for PE a challenge when I first started because many of them felt it was a perfect time for chatting and throwing clothes at each other! As we had our session first thing, I started putting their names cards out around the room and that is where they had to change. I found that this made a huge difference as I could separate those children that found it hard to concentrate.

The first 6 children changed write their name on the whiteboard and are given a house point. I worried that it would always be the same children but it does seem to change each week. My TA and I also give house points to the children in the tidiest area, e.g. clothes folded nicely, bags piled together.

It is still not the quietest time in class but I don't think it ever will be! Fortunatley, it did become much calmer. We'll see how it goes with a new class in September!

ooo sychronsied changing sounds amazng!im gonna try it tto. ha bgfrancis throwing clothes is exactly the situation i want to avoid the number of sweaty socks that landed on me last year!

• 1 month later...

well i have just done our first p.e session and tried sychronised changing and it was ace! the kids loved it my tas loved it and i loved it so thank you thank you for that idea x

I also go with the sychronised changing in the hall, whispering voices only, bags along 2 benches and give out stickers for the first 6 changed who then help others. We warm up with a simple playground game this gives me a chance to sort out inside out clothes and help the slow coaches.

Home time used to be awful for me aswell. Now I take the boys and my TA takes the girls to the cloakroom to collect everything. We all go there and come back together then line up. We sing a hometime song loudly, quietly, slowly, quickly until the bell goes.

Hometime song

We have been to school and we've had a lovely day x3

But now it's time to go home (point to the clock)

Wave bye bye to all your friends x3 (wave to each child)

And I'll see you all again another day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)