Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition To Year 1

I know there's been lots of threads about transition but after talking to our new NQT who will be in year 1 next year. She asked how I thought the children would cope being in one class when they've been able to drift between two rooms this year. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this themselves? My colleague thinks they'll be fine but I'm not so sure and was thinking that maybe when they first come in each morning they could choose which room to play in as they would in year R but I'm not sure. All thoughts would be great!

Edited by SP61HJ

we are planning to give our year 1s some time to 'play' in reception during the first term. Also I agree, I'd let them chose where to play in the morning, even if only for a short time.

SP61HJ we have made sure each Y1 class look similar to the YR and we have a shared outdoor space and corridor. Children have the same routine in Y1 as we had in YR and although there is only one room they seem to settle really well. We also have less adults as we had 1:10 in reception and we have 1:15 in Y1. I think the routines being the same and the environment looking similar have really enabled the children to settle quickly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)