Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Ideas?

Hi,

I am an NQT and although I have had a fabbie year and love my class, it has been challenging at times, especially due to the behaviour of two children.

One particlaur boy has been challenging all year and his behaviour is constantly disruptive and he seems to deliberately seek out trouble - he lacks social skills and I have tried to work on them but not much parental support/back up. He constantly hurts other children, especially during carpet time and will often wreck children's work (models, drawings, writing - it just seems to tempting). I thought I was finally getting somewhere before the move to Year 1 as after a particularly bad start to the week he had a good first session but then it went down hill - throwing outdoor large chest pieces at friends, breaking models and then at lunch time today he was caught throwing pebbles at my car, which has left chip marks. I do not normally involve the head as he is old school (as are other staff members) and doesn't understand EYs but did not know what to do as word got round to him so I took the child to the head and the head dealt with the situation (I felt he came on far too strong but felt powerless to intervene) - his mum was called in but not to talk to me - she is never very responsive or receptive when I've had to talk to her before and I've had no response re his report and I am just unsure how to move on - I really had hoped that his behaviour would improve over the year as he is an intelligent boy but he is let down by his behaviour. We have had behavioural support in but unfortunately his mum has previosuly primed him prior to the observations or if any visitors come in not necessarily to see him, his behaviour has not been characteristic of him, although they have seen glimpses of it.

I would really appreciate any suggestionsfor different approaches to help him as I feel that I am letting him down and I am just a bit worried how his behaviour will be dealt with next year (I think the other staff feel I am not tough enough and tolerate too much but I don't agree with shouting at the children or making them stand outside the staff room.

Apoligies for the moan/rant 7 hope it makes sense (brain is not really functioning) but just know you've been so helpful in helping me in other areas this year.

Many thanks,

Becky

Sad to say, but it might be a late in the term to try anything different even if there are strategies you havent tried.

You can only now pass on an honest account to his next teacher I would think, not sure how these things work in a school though.

Its hard when the parents arent supportive isnt it? You sound very caring so dont feel too bad about it, we really need parents to work with us at times like this but unfortunatly that doesnt always happen.

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Rea - there really isn't much time left to implement any new strategies that are likely to be effective for this little chap. And it sounds to me as if his problems stem mainly from his home environment. After 6 weeks of summer holidays, his behaviour is likely to have deteriorated again in any case. I think you just have to let this one go and let the Yr1 teacher deal with it as they see fit. You really can't fight every child's battles for them throughout their schooling. :o

I would put your concerns in writing to your SENCo, keeping a copy for yourself. That way you know that you have done what you should, and hopefully his issues will eventually be properly addressed.