Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Critical Fall Heights!

JJA

Hi!

Bit of a technical question coming up - any help gratefully received!

I am opening a new nursery completely different to my first. Previously my climbing equipment for the children has been on safety flooring to a critical fall height of 2.5m so no problems there. For my new nursery I have a garden and I cannot find out what the recommended critical fall height is after many hours 'googling' - anybody got any idea??

Obviously it's going to be difficult to ascertain due to the changing nature of natural surfaces but I would have thought there was some kind of minimum.

Thanks!!

Various thicknesses of Playtop have been tested in accordance with European (EN) and US (ASTM) Standards and awarded Critical Fall Height ratings up to 3 metres - the maximum permitted fall height of modern play equipment.

found this on safetykids website, hope this helps

claire x

Hi FFL

Reading your post am I right that you are thinking of using the natural garden surface, such as grass, under your climbing equipment? If so the problem is that when the weather is dry the earth, even with the grass, can dry and be as hard as concrete. You may have to have a rethink.

If I have read your post wrongly then just ignore this!!! :oxD

Linda

I think if you look at information at what type of surface you want to use and do a search each kind of surface has different fall hight resistance for instance loose wood chippings depend on how deep they are and as Linda quite rightly points out Grass can become very hard when the ground dries out which can lul you into a false sence of security

Im not a member but I wonder if learning through landscapes has any information on critical fall hights or possibly Rospa? all I know is it varies from one surface to another

Edited by Alison

Assumiong you are not planning on any surfacing at all, I think its about 90cm - but best bet would be to phone one of the millions on companies that supply playground equipment - they would be able to tell you. Zoe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)