Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessing And Competence

cas

Hi to all you assessors out there. As a rather inexperienced assessor I have a few concerns! I've been supporting some settings that have poor (failed) Ofsteds :o , in an advisory role, and have noticed that these settings have candidates working towards NVQ's level 2's and 3's.

My concern is that in these settings there are a lot of things going on that would not be considered good practice and I worry that the candidates do not have the experience or expertise to discern this. How can this be rectified? Should the training providers be aware of the situation. Is it the responsibility of the training provider to assess the setting for suitability?

It worries me that some candidates can actually produce a good portfolio of evidence but not be competent in all areas. Does anyone have any experience of this? xD

Hi, Cas,

Yes, I do. I think the best thing you can do, if you are not setting-based (and not many are!) is to encourage them to produce lots of reflective accounts , even simulations/roleplay if you think it necessary to show that they are aware of good practice.

In my experience, sometimes staff who are working towards awards may have little effect on policy-making, whatever the high ideals of the NVQ boards themselves. Too much pressure to change practice can result in unbearable stress in the workplace if employers regard this as 'just a cheap way to get qualified staff' (which, of course, we know is not the case, but is, unfortunately backed up by some training providers.)

There is not really any quick or easy answer. You should, after a while get to know your candidates and be able to judge the position of both Candidate and Employer - sometimes even training provider - you don't make it clear if you are independent or working for a provider- which might tie your hands a bit.

Please get back to me with more questions, I feel I may not have addressed all your concerns. You can always PM me if you'd rather.

Sue :D

Hi Cas,

I'm just starting out on assessing - in fact I did my first observation this morning! :) Luckily my first candidate works in a very good nursery. The training provider I am with send out one of their assessors to each of the settings before the candidate gets to be assessed at all. If they have any concerns that this will hinder the candidate in achieving the award then they see what can be done to rectify the situation, offering help and advice if they think it is appropriate and will be welcomed. I do know that there has been cases where candidates have applied for jobs in other settings once they have realised that their current setting is not 'up to scratch' as it were. They will also arrange placements in other settings for short periods of time, if this is appropriate. Unfortunately not all training providers are as scrupulous. :o This is one of my major gripes with the NVQ system and really comes down to the fact that training providers aren't 'policed' effectively by the external verifiers.

Well said, Carol! :o

You have hit the nail on the head about the 'policing', it's one of the main reasons NVQs have acquired a bad name in some areas, in that they are in some cases being delivered inappropriately, by 'dodgy' training agencies whose main motive is money!

Having said that, though, I am aware that CACHE monitor their assessment centres closely, frequently and quite rigorously. As I was assessing for the PLA during two monitoring rounds I was able to see close-up the lengths to which they went, and the detail of reports on findings. The words 'nit' and 'pick' might not be inappropriate for some aspects, but that shouldn't be a criticism!

Hi there cas,

Good for you, it needs taking up, otherwise things like that awful programme will become the norm, rather than exceptions! I'm a huge believer in improving practice and have always been vocal in the past, myself. You have my wholehearted support.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)