Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Junk Modelling - 'craft Workshop'

I am moving into F2 next term after 3 years in nursery and have become a bit of a covert to junk modelling, as I feel it encompasses so many areas of the EYFS all in one go. The children love it and are making some fantastic headway at the moment with their speaking and listening, creativity and fine motor skills etc through their plans and models. However, my new colleague feels it will make too much mess and be too noisy to have all of the time as a child initiated activity and should be only once in a while.

I wonder what anyone else feels about it?

Do you have a craft workshop that allows for this all of the time?

What do you have in it?

Thanks Marion -isn't it sad that we're thinking about school (and next term) at this time on a Sunday morning - in between juggling Sunday lunch and ironing school uniform for tomorrow!!

Do you have continuous provision posters by each area? Does that cover your planning for that area or do you have specific plans each week?

Too much mess and too noisy?Junk modelling??????

I think your colleague may need to remember its the EYFS she works in!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you entirely that it encompasses so many areas, but the main thing is the children just love it!!

I work in nursery but our reception class has access to modelling all the time!

Our children have access to 'junk modelling' all the time and love it! They are forever making things. It's also situated next to one of our role-play areas and they are always making items for it. We have a hospital there at the moment and they have been making x-ray machines, tvs to watch in the ward...all self-initiated. Last week one of the children went up to the TA and said, "I've made you a present...it's a brain". Brilliant!

I learnt a valuable lesson with junk modelling this week! Our class teacher had the children draw their own minibeasts and then scaffolded this 2D idea into 3D using junk modelling. We were just blown away by some of the creations, they really consulted their own designs and considered colour ,shape etc! Amazing!!

We feel the learning that went on would have ticked even NC boxes!

I too am a big fan of junk modelling, and would say its definately worth the effort to turn the boxes inside out, I think its ideal to have it as c. provision as I often direct children their after we have read a story about something and to help children follow their own interests, sometimes I set a challange of you need to work with a partner to make something together. I have had a few afternoons which have been adult directed and everyone has junk modelled.

Thanks for all your replies. glad i'm not on my own!

I have managed to get my way and yes, we will have box modelling next year!!

I too am a big fan of junk modelling, and would say its definately worth the effort to turn the boxes inside out, I think its ideal to have it as c. provision as I often direct children their after we have read a story about something and to help children follow their own interests, sometimes I set a challange of you need to work with a partner to make something together. I have had a few afternoons which have been adult directed and everyone has junk modelled.

Does everyone turn boxes inside out? Our making table is so popular, we have such a high turnover of boxes, that I wouldn't do anything else if I turned them all inside out. I wish I had time to, but I really don't!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)