Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aspergers Syndrome

Hi there,

We had a little boy (Y1) join us a few weeks ago and had very little information about him. He refuses to do his work all the time until a Teacher says he must. It's not that he can't do it as when he does he clearly can do it independently. He also answers back quite a lot too. In the last week or so, he has been having a tantrum about leaving Mum to come into school, but once inside the classroom, he's fine. We have spoken to Mum about his attitude re: work and homework and then I was socked when she spoke to me the other morning that she is trying to get a diagnosis for Aspergers as in recent weeks he has been playing up a lot.

I think she is trying to blame it on the changes in the class (teacher off ill then jobshare replacement off ill) but the rest of the children have responded positively and made great progress and a child with Down's has coped very well with the changes. Our (the job share and I) behaviour management techniques are the same and we are of the same standards in teaching etc. Staff inc the head are really pleased with how things have been over the last half term.

As I have not had experience of Aspergers, I wondered if anyone had some advice for me as to what to look for and the inevitable report we will have to write!

Many thanks,

L

Sounds like a visula time table would help him greatly. His answering back is probably unintentional and Aspergers can come across as quite rude, but actually they have little idea of how to sound or what to say/how to say it. I always think of a very famous woman with Autism and a phrase that she used and I still use it, 'take your reality and oput it in your back pocket'

Visual timetables are good as are visual instructions.

If he has Aspergers warning about changes in advance helps. Using clear language as he will have a very literal interpretation of what you say and trying to provide a distraction free area. Some children have sensory difficulties so don't like noise (does he cover his ears) some find light a problem (my current child gets under tables) touch (anything from clothes to food)

Visual_cue_card_instructions.doc

Thanks everyone for all your advice - I now know much more than I did yesterday and it has enabled me to be more informed when observing him. Having spoken to my job share partner, it sounds as if he is displaying more of the behaviours at home than at school.

Once again thanks to everyone,

Axx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)