Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour

I have been working on some techniques with a couple of children, without much success this has been discussed with the parents beforehand. Well yesterday whilst dealing with these children I was bitten and pinched by 1 child and my chair person was kicked and punched by he other. with this the child who bit me ran off sat in the book area a quietly looked at a book. I was so taken back by this behaviour that I picked up the phone and called the health visitor and told her what had happened and she replied " exclude them" I obviously did not do this as its not in our policies.

I did however talk to both the parents together about their children and told them that it is not acceptable and I need to find better strategies as the agreed ones where not working. I have also warned them that I will not allow this abuse to happen to me or anyone else again and if it does then I will phone the parents and ask them to pick their child up and take them home for the rest of that day.

I have the full backing of my stff, my committee and the health visitor but am I wrong???

I have also heard today that 1 of the parents has no complaints or ill feelings but is pulling their child out for the last 3 weeks ( the child is due to start school in september) and wants a refund of her fees, but our policies say a terms notice so what should we do? refund it and cut our losses without any comeback? or stick to our guns and say policy is policy and hope she doesnt make a formal complaint/

help please it has been a horrible couple of days

Salm

Last year we had a little boy with severe autism who was lovely but could be very violent to both adults and the other children. By the end of the year we were all at the point of weeping.

So I can say that I definitely feel that no one should ever be hit by anyone else, child or adult and you have every right to be shocked and upset by that and to insist that it doesn't happen again.

You are in a very difficult position and are bound end up feeling that things might have been different but that is most certainly NOT your fault.

Jane

I have been scratched, kicked and headbutted at nursery! I know how you are feeling! We fill in a serious incident form (we are a school) and parents are informed. As is the inclusion co-ordinator. I have sent a child home for the day before now for hurting a member of staff. Other than that the children have to go through the school's behaviour system. Usually the inclusion co-ordinator speaks to the parents about the incident. I would stick to your guns if i were you - policy is policy... what would she formally complain about?

Tink! :D x

How long has this behaviour been going on? You should involve your area SenCo and get support strategies in place for the family, the child and yourselves.

I have had a child in Reception with similar behaviours, who was badly let down by his preschool provision because they hoped this behaviour would change.

I have also heard today that 1 of the parents has no complaints or ill feelings but is pulling their child out for the last 3 weeks ( the child is due to start school in september) and wants a refund of her fees, but our policies say a terms notice so what should we do? refund it and cut our losses without any comeback? or stick to our guns and say policy is policy and hope she doesnt make a formal complaint/

Policies are policies... She doesn't really have a basis to make a complaint on if she has a copy of the policies and procedures.

I'd say stick to your guns! If you make exeptions for her, then everyone will want exceptions made for them!

yup policies are policies I'm with Mrs M.

I'd just like to point out that where you say: "And hope she doesn't make a formal complaint" has highlighted for me an area that has been bugging me for ages!

stick to your guns!

what about setting up a CAF meeting for this family? I would guess the behaviour is being modelled or learnt from somewhere and from my experience, the family usually need support- although they might not have admitted it or even realise it- as well as yourselves. I say this becuase we once had a very violent child in Nursery who when CAF'd and mum became involved in some Stay and Play sessions at the local children's centre, it became apparant in the first 10 minutes that she had such totally unreasonable expectations of a 2 year old that it wasn't surprising he was troubled! Speak to health visitor again, or if she just wants to exclude, I would try your local or nearest CC and ask them to point you in right direction. Good luck- it is so draining for everyone- not least the child themselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)