Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition Activities

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any exciting ideas for activities for new year r's. I am running 2 play sessions next week for the new children. they come for one play session which lasts for an hour. I need to produce some displays from the activities they do so there is work on the walls when they start in September. I am also expecting the big O very shortly afer we get back!!

Any exciting ideas????

XXX

i am asking mine to paint a pic of themselves and tell me about their favourite things so i can create a display with that. altho i am nqt so am going with what has been done in the past.

any other ideas for a full day would also be greatly appreciated, as i have never done transition before.

xx

Ive never found it very successful trying to get the children focused enough, on transition visits, to produce anything that I can use in a meaningful way. You dont know them, they dont know you and its all very difficult. Remember your youngest children may still be 3!

Perhaps a large scale collaborative "something" would be possible?

Good luck!

For your display how about photographing the day instead of producing something-what they did, who came, which family members came. I usually find anything they do on transition visits they REALLY want to take home as proof they have been. We usually send a letter a few days before term starts with a colouring picture which the child brings with them first day which is mounted. It's a long time from transition to admitting so the letter just reminds the child that we are expecting them, who we are and how excited we are about them coming!!

I am endeavouring to get the chidlren to draw a picture of themselevs, and take a photo of them to put up as a welcome to our class display - haven't tried this before - and do realsie my pictures may be 'interesting' but thought it worth a go.

Hi - I've got transition visits next week too! xD

We usually get them to do easy art activity (painted picture of themselves, colouring in, frame decorated with pasta that we can add photo to on first day etc) which we can use to hang round their coat peg for the first day in September.

This year they're sticking together teddy made from pre-cut shapes of textured paper. We usually have a free play session on the first visit and then do this art activity on the second - it's usually linked to a big book story we read at the beginning of the second visit.

We also introduce them to our class soft toy for the year (no suprises this year it's a teddy!) and ask them to send a postcard to the toy during the holiday when they've done some thing they've really enjoyed (we send a letter home to parents about it too!). We then use all this in a display in September where we have the class toy, postcards, photos of the children and speech bubbles (that we write obviously) of them recall the activity eg. 'I really liked going to the beach'. It looks nice and busy and has photos of them and doesn't take long to put up!

good luck! :o

PS If you're going to take photos of the children on the transition days make sure you've got parental permission!

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the advise about taking photos - I hadn't even thought that it might be a problem!!!! Whoops!!! Thank goodness i get to see the parents a couple of times before the meeting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)